Anyone using HurcoSave orginally sold by CMC?

CMC went under in 2009 and I'm trying to migrate the Hurcosave app to a Windows 7 PC from a XP. The app seems to run OK under Windows 7 but won't accept the original password/code and says it will expire in 30 days...Ideas?

Reply to
oldjag

There may be a registry entry or a license file in the original installation that is required to authenticate the installation. Sorry, I don't know anything

Reply to
Bob La Londe

... about your specific application. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yep I suspect it's a registry issue, but have know idea where to look. I'm wondering if the activation code I was given when I bought the new boards and software had some sort of expiration date, although it's not mentioned in any of the literature from CMC. I could wring the guys neck at CMC..I s uspect he knew darn well they were going under when he sold me the upgrade in December'08. By the end of January their phone was disconnected.

Reply to
oldjag

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:l9l4t7$3j3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Oh... I saw your mold-making video... Uh, huh!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thanks Lloyd. LOL. I've been thinking about making a follow up that goes into all the settings for the MOP. I know I was lost with some of that stuff when I started using CB, and figured it wouldn't hurt to help somebody else along.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Copy the old harddisc to new PC (partition magic or such to make exact copy). Let new PC boot and windows will update the motherboard devices. If it can't do that, "repair" install with XP disc. After it boots to XP, upgrade to windows 7 from XP (put W7 install disc to CD while XP runs).

This way all the registry entries and files stay the same.

Has worked fine on W2000->XP. I haven't yet had any reason for W7.

Kristitan Ukkonen.

Reply to
Kristian Ukkonen

If the new computer uses an Advanced Format hard drive the cloning program has to be aware of it.:

"While not stressed in the preceding table, Windows XP, Windows Server

2003, and Windows Server 2003 R2 do not support 512e or 4Kn media. While the system may boot up and be able to operate minimally, there may be unknown scenarios of functionality issues, data loss, or sub-optimal performance."

Windows has a mechanism to detect an installation being moved to different hardware, to deter theft, and if it even runs it will likely have crippled functionality and give timeout warnings. The mechanism records and checks parameters on the motherboard, such as the network MAC address, but AFAIK not the hard drive. It does allow occasional small changes.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I would say that there is no problem.

The harddisk will work in "512-Byte Sector Emulation" with XP using alignment 1. It should be first emptied of all partitions, and then old partition copied there. Then after migrating to W7, it will also work with the 512 byte sectors, but that is not a problem.

It would be challenging to really perceive the effect of this emulation on the harddisk transfer speed, especially using the PC for some old CNC software.

It has worked wonderfully for me. Also with XP sp3. I have done it multiple times with failed harddisks and motherboards, using a backup copy of harddisk on new hardware. These computers are working and have worked for years. May need reactivation, but that is not a problem with genuine software with XP license string.

IMHO worth a try in the case above. Should work fine and no risk, as it is done to a copy of the original harddisk.

Another way is to look for hidden files and/or empty directories at the directories of the software. They are not copied normally with windows copy. Empty hidden directory is used as license "file" in one software.. One trick is to use "attrib" command instead of "dir" in dos prompt. It will show all files, regardless if they are hidden dor system files. For hidden directies "dir /A:HD". You get the idea.

Reply to
Kristian Ukkonen

Since this a new Windows 7 PC, I do have the Windows 7 install disc, and I do have a cloned Hard Drive of the old XP machine, so I guess I could give it a try, just not sure the old XP OS will support the new 64 bit Quad core board for boot up. Since I've used the cloned drive to move from one XP m achine to another the last time I upgraded PC's maybe that could work.

Reply to
oldjag

I don't know if it will be your solution but you might explore Windows 7 pro's ability to run XP in emulation.

Reply to
phorbin

You could dig out or buy an old drive to practice with.

These are very useful for cloning drives:

If you use IDE laptop drives an adapter like this provides them with more DC power than the USB2 port can supply:

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I use Amazon for links because they load quickly on dialup. My USB adapter which I bought locally is blue and has worked fine for years. That one gets bad reviews for its power supply. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You will see. You propably need XP install disk for "repair" of the old install. Put the cloned harddisk to new PC, boot. If it won't boot (and setup itself), boot with XP CD, and do repair.

That's how I would progress. After you get the XP to boot, you can update to windows 7. Really no other way than to try.

Reply to
Kristian Ukkonen

The old system may not boot on the new hardware if the ATA controllers are too different, since the OS loader has to read the hard drive before Plug-n-Play can install the proper new driver. You could change the XP ATA driver to the generic standard in the XP machine before trying it in the new one.

Are they at least both SATA?

"Operating systems such as Windows XP/2000 may not automatically recognize the SATA controller in the system. This is especially true if the hardware is newer than the operating system."

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

replying to oldjag, Sandor IMRE wrote: Hi oldjag

I just bought on eBay a Hurcosave (CMC Systems) board for upgrading my Hurco KMB1. Could you please help me out and mail me any information about this card? Impossible to find anything on it on the net.

Reply to
Sandor IMRE