Attaching safety chain to trailer?

Threaded View
Howdy,

I was meaning to hitch this up to the trailer thread, but I got derailed.

What is the best method for attaching safety chains to a trailer?  I was
thinking about welding, but that would weaken (soften at the very least) the
attached link.  Maybe drilling a hole through the deck and bolting the end
link?

Thanks for any insight on this,

Jon

Re: Attaching safety chain to trailer?

The best way is the way your state allows. Washington State does not allow
homebuilt trailers to weld on safety chain - it MUST be bolted.

But my purchased trailer has welded-on chains.

GWE

Re: Attaching safety chain to trailer?

Just had this done. Had new chains/cables. The cables have a loop on
the trailer end.  The welder made up a loop and welded it to the
trailer frame near the hitch. Of course he put the cable loop over the
loop. Works real nice.

Bob  AZ

Re: Attaching safety chain to trailer?
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:48:17 -0800, Jon Danniken

I am not saying I did it in the best way, but I welded on a chain
attachment bracket, made of 2x2x1/4" steel angle.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Homemade-Trailer-With-M105A2-Bed/07-Trailer-Turned-Over/07-Trailer-Turned-Over-0002.jpg.html

Re: Attaching safety chain to trailer?

Mine are bolted on.  Depending on the chain, if you weld it, you could
be making a brittle link and a disaster if the chain ever has to
hold.  It'll definitely affect the heat treatment.  I've seen it done
on commercial trailers and wondered how good the manufacturer's
insurance was.  Lawsuits in the making.

Now you could probably weld a bracket on to bolt the chain to in a
convenient spot, make sure it's not a shin-knocker, though.  Mine are
bolted directly to the trailer tongue right behind the hitch, separate
bolts from the hitch bolts.  Make sure bolts, hooks and chain are up
to a sudden jerk by a fully loaded trailer at speed, too.

Stan

Re: Attaching safety chain to trailer?
Many states demand that the chains be "permanently attached" to the
trailer. Since most of the chains on the cheaper trailer are mild steel,
welding them on it not an issue. As soon as you go to the rated chains,
they are alloy and/or heat treated, NO WELDING. Bolting them on by
drilling a hole through a rectuangular section means that you will need
to double nut or nylock the bolt, the tube will cave in and loosen the
nuts.

One good way is to drill a hole through a suitable frame member, use a
mend link to attach the chain.

Re: Attaching safety chain to trailer?

Indeed; thanks to everyone.  I'm going to drill two holes and bolt the chain
on.

Thanks again,

Jon

Re: Attaching safety chain to trailer?

Yep. It's been more interesting than the subject header would indicate.

Hey, wait just a darn minute! I'm following up somebody who can't exist,
who must be a figment of somethingorother!

All metalworkers _know_ there's no such thing as Too Many Tools! :)

Re: Attaching safety chain to trailer?

Yes there is.  I have it on good authority that in Cincinnati (or maybe it
was Cleveland -- never could keep the two straight...) back in something
like '85 there was a weldor who simply had TOO MANY CLAMPS!!!!!

Re: Attaching safety chain to trailer?

Ummmmm -- split the difference, Columbus maybe?

Too many clamps? Inconceivable!* Could he also get more than ten actual
minutes welding for every two hours fitting, clamping, and tacking?

Got a cite for that? Inquiring minds want to....oh, never mind.

*Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You dipped my tungsten. Prepare to die.

Site Timeline