Attaching safety chain to trailer?

Howdy,

I was meaning to hitch this up to the trailer thread, but I got derailed.

What is the best method for attaching safety chains to a trailer? I was thinking about welding, but that would weaken (soften at the very least) the attached link. Maybe drilling a hole through the deck and bolting the end link?

Thanks for any insight on this,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

The best way is the way your state allows. Washington State does not allow homebuilt trailers to weld on safety chain - it MUST be bolted.

But my purchased trailer has welded-on chains.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Just had this done. Had new chains/cables. The cables have a loop on the trailer end. The welder made up a loop and welded it to the trailer frame near the hitch. Of course he put the cable loop over the loop. Works real nice.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

I am not saying I did it in the best way, but I welded on a chain attachment bracket, made of 2x2x1/4" steel angle.

Ignoramus8098

Mine are bolted on. Depending on the chain, if you weld it, you could be making a brittle link and a disaster if the chain ever has to hold. It'll definitely affect the heat treatment. I've seen it done on commercial trailers and wondered how good the manufacturer's insurance was. Lawsuits in the making.

Now you could probably weld a bracket on to bolt the chain to in a convenient spot, make sure it's not a shin-knocker, though. Mine are bolted directly to the trailer tongue right behind the hitch, separate bolts from the hitch bolts. Make sure bolts, hooks and chain are up to a sudden jerk by a fully loaded trailer at speed, too.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Many states demand that the chains be "permanently attached" to the trailer. Since most of the chains on the cheaper trailer are mild steel, welding them on it not an issue. As soon as you go to the rated chains, they are alloy and/or heat treated, NO WELDING. Bolting them on by drilling a hole through a rectuangular section means that you will need to double nut or nylock the bolt, the tube will cave in and loosen the nuts.

Reply to
RoyJ

Indeed; thanks to everyone. I'm going to drill two holes and bolt the chain on.

Thanks again,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Yep. It's been more interesting than the subject header would indicate.

Hey, wait just a darn minute! I'm following up somebody who can't exist, who must be a figment of somethingorother!

All metalworkers _know_ there's no such thing as Too Many Tools! :)

Reply to
John Husvar

Yes there is. I have it on good authority that in Cincinnati (or maybe it was Cleveland -- never could keep the two straight...) back in something like '85 there was a weldor who simply had TOO MANY CLAMPS!!!!!

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Ummmmm -- split the difference, Columbus maybe?

Too many clamps? Inconceivable!* Could he also get more than ten actual minutes welding for every two hours fitting, clamping, and tacking?

Got a cite for that? Inquiring minds want to....oh, never mind.

*Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You dipped my tungsten. Prepare to die.
Reply to
John Husvar