ball & socket for rolling ladder?

My cabinetmaker & I are trying to determine how to most cost-effecitvely copy a contemporary rolling ladder I saw in Hong Kong for our 16' high library. The tracks on top & bottom were inlaid into the cabinetry & the ladder glided very smoothly along these tracks - I assume some sort of heavy-duty ball & socket joint would be required to make the 45 degree curve? I imagine a local metal fabrication shop could do the track & the cabinetmaker can make the ladder, but we haven't yet figured out the attachment mechanism necessary. Any & all ideas greatly appreciated! I have a photo of the inspiration for this ladder if any good samaritan can help.

Thanks - Sarah

Reply to
Sarah

Conventional ball/roller bearings can be used - it's the mounting arms that are beveled.

For inspiration, go to a hardware store and see how large [barn-sized] door hardware is designed.

You might also consider using casters on the bottom of the ladder with the ladder's base capable of being moved and extended so that it's not vertical but at least 30 degrees off vertical for safety in climbing.

Reply to
RAM³

Check here:

reference if nothing else.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

We (wife and I) have wished we had a room to outfit like that. We have the books, just not build the room yet.

One idea - use 4" pulleys - V belt. Then have a track of inverted V made from a very hard wood. Pretend this long strip across the top is the belt that is cut and laid out long wise. - well you could use V belt - it would be just right and can be attached with wood screws from the top (small V side).

That is two ways. A metal one could be cut - or ground - make sections that interlock and make a train track in a way.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Sarah wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On 22 Apr 2006 15:10:56 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Sarah" quickly quoth:

Sarah, try these two sites for more insight. They want an arm and both legs for these things. =:-0

($2,460 for a 16' tall white oak ladder with an 18' long STRAIGHT section of satin brass hardware.)

------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! -------------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Being both a cabinet maker and a novice (well , maybe a bit more than novice) home shop machinist , I agree with the poster who suggested you attach the top and let the bottom atand away from the cabinets . Roller bearings at the top , running in a shallow track , and good roller bearing rubber wheels at the bottom . Attaching a vertical ladder to a cabinet 16 feet tall is a disaster waiting to happen . Even attached to a wall , the side loading on this would be higher than I like .

Reply to
Snag

I concur, and being cheap I would just buy the hardware for a sliding barn door from your local farmers co-op. It may not look elegant (maybe you can cover it up?) but rolls easily and will support a ton.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Heh, heh.

Compare the pictures at http://www.putnamroll> On 22 Apr 2006 15:10:56 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Sarah" > quickly quoth: