Barker Horizontal Mill

Sigh..probably be simpler and cheaper to pour the entire back yard in concrete.

Id not mind finding a quarter acre of PSP though...

Gunner

Gunner

I gather that PSP is one of those rare military items which is completely used up by repeated recycling. At least I've never seen any of it surplus, come to think of it.

rcook5

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote back on Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:03:50 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Considering the logistics issues involved, I'd believe it would be one of those items which if declared surplus, you have to go fetch it where is, as is.

South Pacific seems to be a likely place.

Or you might be able to scrounge up some PAP - same stuff, but made of Aluminum. Air transportable.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

My bet it is simply left in place. Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Dan -

Was driving in Monterey today - live up the coast in the mountains.

You don't want to hear what I saw in the road flower beds or any of that stuff. The coats were in the back of the truck.

First week without rain in a while.

Mart> Well if it makes you feel any better its 27 here in Michigan and that's

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

They used a lot of it in the US. Just about every military base I've ever been on had it around -- everything from ground cover to highway bumpers.

--RC

rcook5

Ive got one of those 30" Chicom combination shear/brake/rollers...and while it does thin stuff well enough..Im not sure its suitable for what you need.

Now I do have a couple Pexto shears. An old kick shear converted to hydraulic and a much much newer and nicer hydraulic shear.

Both will do 16 ga IRRC, both are 52" and both are for sale

Im pretty sure MarMachine has some. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Gunner

Gunner

Let in place, then scrounged by locals.

PAP might get scrounged by recyclers. That's a lot of aluminum.

Might find it under "Marsten Mat", but its the sort of stuff which only a Government throwing a war is likely to want to ship any distance. And I doubt Gunner has the time or interest in milling some from raw stock. :-)

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Old name for those shipping containers you see on the big ships, that get moved to trucks and driven all over the place.

Seatrain is another term. It may be regional in usage. SeaTrain is a shippers name that specializes in this

Conex is the name a lot of Nam vets use for this type of container

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

Reply to
Gunner

I didn't realize that's what they were called, but I was thinking of the same thing -- getting a shipping container if I needed to store all my stuff for a while.

I was even thinking of renting out a space in a parking lot in an industrial area somewhere in So Cal and setting up a blecksmiths shop out of that. It's be sort of a pain, but I could run everthing I need off an extension cord or two. The only elictrical stuff would be a drill press and lights. Everything else is propane, or meat powered.

It would be sort of a pain to haul everything in and out of the container, but I could build some wheeled based for the forge, vice and anvil so it would take maybe five minutes to haul everything out and get it set up.

The thing with blacksmithing is that it's kind of noisey, but because I have a regular day job I'd be working nights and weekends (mostly).

Reply to
jpolaski

Talk to our buddy Tho Nugyen. Ill bet you could work out something advantagous to you both.