Before I throw out an old microwave....

A big, 20 year old, quality microwave went kaput.... I think. Convection, all the bells/whistles, GE. Anything worth salvaging, of diy-er value?? The klystron is proly too
dangerous to fool around with, but man, what a honkin xsformer in there. What's the secondary? Klystrons need such xsformer poundage??
I have the working innards of another microwave, but don't know enough about them to fool with them safely. Mebbe I'll give it to my neighbor's kid.... No, No, just kidding..... lol
--
EA

On Friday, January 4, 2013 6:24:48 PM UTC-6, Existential Angst wrote:

The outer coils ( high voltage windings) will strip off easily leaving a primary and core you could add a few turns to for a spot welder supply...
On 1/4/2013 4:35 PM, Cross-Slide wrote:

Don't forget to take out the magnetic shunts.
Transformer $0.34/lb

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 19:24:48 -0500, Existential Angst wrote:

Secondary voltage is around 1000V. It's perfect for, well, a microwave oven. Not much else, though -- they're kind of optimized for the job they do (see Mike's comments about the shunt).
--
Tim Wescott
Shucks, I have tubes that run that all day long.
On 1/5/2013 10:18 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Some water cooled UHF tetrodes i worked with had a pair of 1.5, 1000A filaments. You had to balance the filaments to minimize hum in the output, so they used a pair of copper bus bars as resistors. They had a stud embedded in each end, and lock nuts to stretch them to raise the resistance so they could be matched to under .1 Volt difference. Probably several hundred dollars worth of scrap copper these days.

ction,

out

Not klystron, magnetron. There are two donut ceramic magnets on the magnetron, sizes vary, but have fairly hefty pulls. Can be re- purposed for a lot of things. Have one on the 4x6 gearbox as a particle trap and wrench holder, slap one on the drill press head to hold the chuck key, I use any number of them for the maggie-in-a- baggie trick for picking up steel shavings. Newspaper bags are long enough I don't have to bend over. Useful for a bunch of things. My dad used a bunch of them for holding a windshield cover on during the winter, saved a bunch of scraping after snow storms.
If you feel destructive, you can pull the magnetron apart. There's a solid copper puck with a bunch of holes in it that could go as copper scrap.
Usually is a small motor or two, one for the stirrer at the top, another for the turntable at the bottom. If it had a convention oven feature, there's a heater element, controls for same, blower/fan.
Only gotcha is that there's a HV cap somewhere in there, put a screwdriver across the terminals(insulated handle, of course) just to make sure it's discharged, then pull it. The unit is now defanged. Cut the cord off the unit.
Stan
Stanley Schaefer wrote:

Some microwave oven Magnetrons have a high temp ceramic made with Berilium Oxide. They are safe as long as you don't do anything stupid and turn it into dust. If you do, it can kill you.

Related Threads