Bending Moment for 1 inch Cast Iron Pipe

I am building a cantilever support for a manual winch to raise a 24 foot vertical antenna weighing 40 pounds. I plan to mount the winch on the end of a

24 inch section of 1 inch cast iron pipe and am concerned about the pipe failing. The non winch end will be attached to a Tee cast iron fitting with the support pipe ground mounted in concrete [sort of an inverted 'L'].

Any comments or ideas appreciated.

Reply to
KW1K

"KW1K" wrote in message news:41815$579f3dfa$43de0cc0$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com...

I proof test the stuff I build from water pipe to at least 5 times the working load.

Jim Wilkins

Just test it first. Non-domestic pipe and fittings are of varied and frequently real poor quality.

Just last night I over torqued a 1/4-20 bolt with a tiny wrench, wasn't even trying to cinch it down. I though the threads were tight, but the damn thing was twisting apart. Got the broken off part out with needle nose pliers. That's grade 3 from a big box store.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader