Best hold in thin alumium?

I have a problem holding thin aluminum, about .080", together for a period of 3 - 4 months in an outdoor environment. I have tried drilling and taping with # 8, 10, 12, fine & course thread machine bolts, which last a few cycles then strip out. The force needed is about 3 - 5 lb compression. I only have limited access to one side of the joint. I'm now thinking of a finer thread screw such as drywall screws which are designed for metal studs. Any thoughts or suggestions?? To reply to this message please remove the AT after the kgs1 in the reply to address. To a conservatist's it truly is a free country, YOU may do whatever they wish. KG

Reply to
KG

Wonder if pop rivets would work? Aluminum rivets, you can shear the head off with hammer and chisel, later. Push the rest of the rivet through.

Or, use threaded inserts? Jack nuts?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in news:14w9u.61461$ snipped-for-privacy@fx28.iad:

NO....! You just gently counter-drill in the hole, and it falls right off!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA2616E5054A87lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

Besides, There are some dandy blind nuts which fit in an oversized hole, and expand on the back-side of the metal the first time you torque the screw down.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

What's wrong with a big honing rivet??? The limited access allow you to get a backing washer on the rivet? If so you can use Monel or stainless rivets with washers on both sides to spread the load. A sheet metal screw of ANY description is just trouble waiting to happen.

Reply to
clare

I'd second the idea of pop rivets. If you need something stronger than hardware store rivets, you could use Cherry aircraft rivets.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Rivets. Need to remove? Rivnut one, and screw the other.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

YES ...! That sounds like what a machinist would do.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or, use threaded inserts? Jack nuts? (what I said a few minutes ago....)

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Try using a punched hole, like from an awl. The dimpled out material on the back side gives you a lot more material for your screw to bite into.

There used to be special punch sets made for this. They had a sharp point with different sized shafts leading to a shoulder so you didn't have to guess at how far to run your punch in.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Stormin Mormon fired this volley in news:g2A9u.26371$ snipped-for-privacy@fx05.iad:

'Expanding blind nuts' ARE threaded inserts, but they're designed to fit snugly in a hole (sometimes knurled to press in tightly), then when the screw is torqued, they expand on the back-side of the work to prevent them from being pulled out front-wise.

Most of them are designed to work flush to to bolting surface, so they don't interfere with a close fit. They're not 'free', but they're not expensive, nor difficult to install.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Or just go up one size with the pops.

Reply to
clare

Have you tried roll (thread-forming) taps? They have the advantage of forming threads by displacing metal, so the threads are somewhat more hardened than you get from thread-cutting taps. Beware that the tap drill for roll taps is a different size from thread-cutting taps, and a much more critical size as well.

If there is space behind the plate, another option might be Rivnuts. They fit into a drilled (and countersunk if need be) hole, are drawn somewhat like pop rivets, and provide a much longer thread.

Also -- since this is in the outdoors (and I presume an area where rain is common, rather than a desert area), you will need to consider the effects of different metals in contact in a wet environment. So perhaps you should look into self-tapping aluminum screws instead of steel. (Not sure what the results would be with brass screws in aluminum instead, but it might be worth checking out.)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hasn't anyone noticed that he wishes to disassemble this thing from time to time? C'mon! Pop Rivets need to be drilled out. How about flush expanding nuts?

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

An in between solution I have heard of (in this group actually) is to punch the hole in the bottom sheet. This creates an elongated cone and allows for more threads to tap.

_____________________ ______......____________ \ /

I think if you found the ideal punch it would have a straight shaft of the appropriate diameter with a hardened long conical point, and maybe a stop to avoid over driving.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

He didn't say it had to come apart - only that it needed to hold for a number of months. If it needs to come apart he should install Dzuz (1/4 turn) fasteners.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, he did. And they require a "receiver" as well.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I don't know how much room there is on the "back sides" but you might try Rivnuts which are a sort of threaded pop rivet. You can install the rivnut from one side of your sheetmetal and then use a bolt to hold things together.

Reply to
John B.

Lloyd, where is the part which says he wants to take them apart?

I bought one of the HF gun kits and used it on my '91 F-150 doors to hold the trailer mirrors on. Worked like champs for years, and AFAIK, are still working. For $17, you cannot go wrong. Maybe he can use one of them.

Anti-seize is cheap.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

All part of the fastener - of course.