Best paint color for a Wilton machinist vise

I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500 series bullet vises)

What color would you say be the best? grey (as in galvanizing paint) or red on top of it?

Reply to
Ignoramus17335

Fuchsia... That way it stands out...

Reply to
Steve W.

I'm leaning toward puce myself as paisley would be a bit difficult to do. Art

Reply to
Artemus

And the blood doesn't show.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I like gloss white with a red pinstripe. Lots of folks are fixated on depressing gray. Some like blue. Zebra stripes might be nice. Suit yourself.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Color one of those MINE!

and the other Candy Apple Green. Make the handle Brown. No other like it.

Mart> I am going to repaint a couple of Wilton machinist vises (400 and 500

Martin H. Eastburn

What color is your bench top? Shop walls? Your shirt, pants, shoes and socks? What colors of metal or other materials will you hold in it? How about your file handles and hacksaw frame? Wouldn't want anything to clash.

Why would you care what color anyone else thinks your vise should be?

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

I repainted a Wilton vise last winter. I replicated the factory color with hammertone light blue. It is available online or thru McMaster Carr.

Bob

Reply to
bob_1fs

I paint all my machines a uniform machinery grey to maintain their sense of unity, otherwise the import tools shirk their duty because they feel inferior to the older, more experienced American iron. They must all work together as one and follow my instructions exactly without question. Davaite!

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I painted that one red:

Ignoramus9931

On Wed, 28 May 2008 19:03:16 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus17335 quickly quoth:

Gold, 'cuz that's what they get for them new. ;)

I've always liked light blue for vises, but Grizzly Green is AOK, too. Black has always been a respectable color for cast arn, as well.

I hate gray, but with red on top of it, I'd better not comment. (If I did, I might say that it reminds me too much of the yellow and orange taco stands in Tijuana; not my fave color combo for some reason.)

-- I wish the Department of Homeland Security knew what ol' Unca Doug did, instinctively, so many years ago:

There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity. -- General Douglas MacArthur

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's what I ended up with, red on top of grey (grey as in cold galvanizing paint, really awesome stuff in itself).

Reply to
Ignoramus9931

Iggy sez:

"I painted that one red:

" Thass, OK, Iggy ! It's kinda obvious you like to imitate that other clown on RCM that always pictured his crap for sale with a new paint job.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

McFadden Plaid. I think you can get a can from the UK without much trouble.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Do you paint all your gas bottles Miller blue?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

On May 29, 3:23=A0pm, Jim Stewart wrote: =2E..

Nope, Lincoln red or Century caca d'oie.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

the outer slobovistan model I used for several years before investing five bucks one Saturday morning. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Only the purged 20 pound propane air pigs Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner wrote on Thu, 29 May 2008 09:37:37

-0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

MacStine (Of Clan Destine fame) makes an interesting camouflage paint. They're near Fifth of Forth in the lower Highlands of Scotland. Near the distillery, they are.

tschus pyotr

Dinnae ask how I kenn, or I'll be having to paint ye purple (we be all out o' green.)

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Sounds like you've been there. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller