Blow down vessel sizing ? - any Ideas

Boiler Blowdown Vessel Size Conundrums:

Does anyone have any hard and fast rules on boiler blowdown vessel sizing ? We manufacture a range of Blowdown receivers and supply then to a broad spectrum of companies. Many use their own rule of thumb methods for sizing and some more technical - we ourselves aim within the guidelines of publications like PM60. HSE publication PM60 is mostly re-produced here and you will see it leaves plenty to the imagination in reality:

Does anyone employ another method (without 6 pages of thermodynamics calculations) that they find reliable ? Many of our smaller clients and operators of steam plant seem divided over the 'best way' - bearing in mind the larger the vessel is the more it will cost, so if they don't offer like for like they could be priced out of the job.

Answers on a Postcard ?

Abbott & Co.(Newark) Ltd Newark Boiler Works Northern Rd Newark Notts. NG24 2EJ Tel: 01636 704208 Fax 01636 705742

Pressure Vessel Manufacturer

If I was looking for something like that, I wouldn't be looking at modern sources - call the Reference Section at your localand university libraries, and see what steam books they have from at least

100 years ago.

Steam is Old Tech. When Steam was the only game in town, and ran railroads and ships and factories through line-shafts and cities... They solved all those problems decades ago, quantified the problems and the solutions and wrote them all up for practical use - then technology marched forward and we forgot all the answers.

The big problem is geting past the technical terms and measurement systems evolution. The old books will reference tools and materials and supplies that you've never heard of, and can't buy anymore - so be prepared to spend lots of time in the library running those down too.

There are almost always better substiututes, or they reformulated it and call it something else today, and use it for an entirely different purpose - but they have to be found.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

How much do you want to bet that those 6 pages of thermodynamics calculations are based on assumptions that may or may not be true, and the real answer is "put it in and see if it's big enough"?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Go and look over the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code.

Use the appropriate sections for fired or unfired pressure vessels. They may include recommendations for blow-down provisions.

If all fails write (email) them and ask for their recommendations. This code forms the basis for many international rules and regulations.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

Not a postcard,but I just went to my collection of old technical boohs and found the Spirax Sarco Technical Literature folder and under "Boiler Blowdown" found the following:

Boilers up to 2300 KG/hr = 1.5 cubic meters

2300 to 4600 Kg/hr = 2.4 cubic meters 4600 to 9000 Kg/ hr = 4.25 cubic meters

its pretty hard to make any real rules at the water quality, and henc blow down volumn varies all over the place .

Reply to
Grumpy