Boring out Atlas Lathe headstock?

Has anyone ever bored out the headstock of an Atlas 10" or 12" lathe? I know it would ruin the #3 Morse taper in the headstock, but I seldom use it. Besides, I have both a 10F and a 12" Craftsman.

If so, how far did you/would you dare to go?

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

PS I have been away from this ng for a month or two. I didn't think the spam COULD get any worse, but it did! Why do people s**t in there own pen?

Reply to
Pete S

"Pete S" fired this volley in news:JpCdncEf2t1A1T_PnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

Not for nothin', but you still wouldn't get enough bore to be worth the trouble. The current species of large-bore machines have MUCH larger bearings and journals. Why ruin an otherwise useful machine?

If you really need a bigger bore, pretty it up and sell it (Atlas lathes don't claim a high price), and buy a big-throated beast.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I have not done so.

First, take the spindle out and measure the OD at various points. I would suggest at least 1/8" radial stock (1/4" diametrical) left near the outboard end, and perhaps 1/4" radial near the chuck end.

And don't hang heavy chucks and workpieces on it after that. Plan to fit it for collets, which will make maximum use of the through diameter for the drawtube.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Answer: Your point is valid, but----- Because I'm old and lazy and I have a lot of time and money invested it tooling that won't transfer to the bigger lathe. Also, I don't have room for a bigger footprint.

Reply to
Pete S

seldom use

Well, if you check out the meat available, I think you'd decide any serious boring will weaken the spindle too much. I wouldn't do it unless you wanted to pass 3/4" stock through the back. Generally, it needs justy a HAIR more clearance.

Jon

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jon Elson fired this volley in news:79Cdnf3UL9cGNz7PnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Exactly, and you wouldn't lose too much stability/retention of a headstock taper doing that. But boring it out larger would just compromise the whole machine. It would be a destructive act, and wouldn't improve your situation at all.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh