Bought a USB joypad at a garage sale

doing a tool

machine is open.

Indeed. All it takes is one "Oh shit" to make a fun project a nightmare.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

are doing a tool

machine is open.

I just disabled spindle start on joystick, it was a dumb idea.

Ignoramus7071

But only EMC2 is free as in freedom.

Ignoramus7071

Lloyd, it is amazing what one can do with EMC2. To say that I am happy, would be to say nothing.

Ignoramus7071

Pete, I think thAT i AM PRETTY good with the joystick and keyboard. I jjst need to figure out where to put that joystick so that it is safe to use. As I said, I already disabled Spindle On.

Ignoramus7071

are doing a tool

machine is open.

It was hardly a dumb idea..but having some interlocks and safeties in place sure makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Thats why firearms have either safeties, or heavy double action triggers.

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

are doing a tool

machine is open.

As a second thought, I replaced spindle on and off on the joystick, with flood on and off. Could be useful to adjust the nozzle, and worst case, I or someone else gets sprayed a little bit.

Ignoramus7071

I'm sorry to say that you are incorrect there. Beyond the silly idea of trying to equate the use of a programmer or programmers labor products without payment with "freedom", it isn't true in this case either since the core EMC software that EMC2 is based on was developed by NIST, a government institution funded by our tax dollars, so you did indeed pay for EMC/EMC2, just not directly.

Reply to
Pete C.

Got a backup in the desk drawer yet? - getting used to all of the neat controls.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

are doing a tool

falling on the

machine is open.

Thats a pretty good idea.

And you can use it to wash down the parts and area.

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yep. I used the mill quite a bit today, learning how to write text with it. I used Chris Radek's Truetype Tracer, and it works great, any message in any TrueType font can be written beautifully with a pointy endmill. This also includes filling in the letters.

Having the joystick to position the mill, and to pause/resume the interpreter, was really indispensable. I am not even sure if I should bother with the original jog controls. This joystick seems to be more ergonomic. With the thumb control, I can move fast or slow.

Ignoramus7071

Pete, there are two meanings to the word free, one is free as in free beer, and another is free as in freedom. The latter sense means that I can see, modify, and redistribute the source code on original terms. This is what EMC is, free as in freedom, with me being free to modify it or give it to friends.

Ignoramus7071

If you are going to do much text..pick up some of the Gorton Pantograph cutters from Ebay.

Btw....for anyone who needs one..this is a SMOKING deal....

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I can do the same thing with the CNC bridgeport, no?

Ignoramus28874

Thanks for the motivation to upgrade to Lucid Lynx.

I have been running a very old version of Ubuntu because every time I upgraded my O/S something stopped working. I installed Lucid Lynx on another drive "just in case." The installation went perfect as did the update downloads/installs, and everything still seems to work including the scanner and webcam.

Had a bit of trouble getting the EMC2 simulator to download, but went directly to the linuxcnc site and examined the Lucid directory. 2 "ls" in install and everything went well.

I am currently programming the cribbage board shown in Smid on the CD with the 2nd edition. There is a large [huge?] number of holes [366] required for the pegs, and your comments on programming motivated me to see what I could do to automate some of the cnc program writing. I was successful. If you will send me a valid email address I'll send what I have gotten so far as a zipped email attachment [holes spot drilled/chamfered, and drilled] along with the source and executables to extract/format the data. CNCSimulator has a fair cnc editor with [re]number, but it does not like sub programs.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Mach3 also has the flexibility to allow you to modify it such as custom screens, G/M codes, scripting for special functions such as ATC control etc. You also have the "freedom" to redistribute those custom portions you develop, either "free" or commercially to other Mach3 users, the other users just need their own inexpensive base Mach3 license.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes..you can. But others cannot. And it comes with 2 pantographs..good ones..AND the Gorton tool and cutter grinder, which usually goes for between $700-$1200 on ebay. Along with a shitload of Stuff.

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

By the way Gunner, I was thinking of sharpening end mills at home, what sort of machine would you recommend for this?

Ignoramus28874

Lucid is pretty good, as Ubuntu releases go, it is very nicely done.

I highly recommend, if possible, to use their repository, that way you get automatic updates.

No better use for CNC than to drill 366 holes.

ichudov AT algebra DOT com, but sending zips is a tossup due to spam software. If you send me a zip, follow up with a plain text email saying that you sent me a zip, I will look for it in spam folders too.

EMC2 has canned cycles for drilling, drilling with dwell etc.

Ignoramus28874

Just remember that when you sharpen your end mill you'll change the diameter, so you need to accurately measure it and mark the new size on it so you enter the correct diameter for cutter compensation.

Reply to
Pete C.