Broaching 1/2 in square hole

looking for press to broach 1/2 in square hole from round

did a small run of parts with a 3 ton arbor press.

Now may need to do a quantity of same item, was wondering if anyone has made up

hydraulic rig for doing this or if anyone has suggestions.

was thinking of bench hydraulic press or custom frame with

electric hydraulic power pack with flow and pressure controls.

Has anyone used this method. A broaching machine seems overkill for this

application.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
BostonBill

slater tools rotary broach cuts the square on a lathe

Reply to
jay s

I was looking at a "square hole broach in the Reid catalog. Is any touch-up needed on the backside of the work when complete?

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I suspect that is a factor of what your workpiece material happens to be.

I've only used them on 12L14 steel, and that came out rather clean.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I use a shaper to broach holes put the broach tool in and push it thru.

Reply to
HaroldA102

I don't think that my 7" (Rockwell/Delta/AMMCO) has enough force to drive even a 1/4" square broach through steel, let alone a 1/2" one -- even geared to the slowest that it can handle. (It would be more likely to strip the teeth off the phenolic bull gear -- something which I

*really* don't want to do.

But a much larger shaper -- especially a hydraulic one, would probably have no trouble with that.

And a larger hole could be squared using a shaper with the normal shaper keyway tooling. (Think of a small lathe boring bar, with the cutting tool turned 90 degrees, and the shank run parallel to the ram.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I have one of those big one that people snicker at auctions .There is alot of people not not know what to do with them thay call them boat ankers

Reply to
HaroldA102

I picked up a 30 inch x 3-1/2" cylinder as scrap and built a frame to mount it. On some of those push broaches you need a long stroke and long stroke hydraulic presses aren't the norm; I assume this is because most people use a hydraulic press for automotive work like pressing out bearings.

Anyway, the only suggestions I would have for you is use electrics in the valve as that will make it easier to fabricate a foot switch which you will eventually want. Also, use a 2 stage pump as this will speed up the return stroke. Waiting for the cylinder to return at about the same speed as the pressure stroke gets old.

As other's have said, pressing straight counts. It's really hard to build a press that doesn't have at least a tiny misalignment so figure on checking and double checking as the broach progresses to keep things going the way they should.

Koz

Bost>looking for press to broach 1/2 in square hole from round

Reply to
Koz