Broken screw extractor?

My truck antenna snapped off due to collision with a bird.

This antenna screws into the foundation, and it snapped off right at the lowest point, leaving nothing on the surface to unscrew the remainder of the screw.

So, I am thinking about buying a "broken screw extractor", to remove the stem of the antenna screw. It is either 1/8" or maybe 3/16" thick,

3-4 mm (I m at work right now).

So, my question is, do these extractors work in real life with small screws. Any tips on how to do it right.

thanks

Ignoramus15341

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a conventional "easy-out" extractor working very well on something that small, and it'd be a tough job to try and drill it down the center if the base is still on the truck.

If it isn't stuck in too hard, I'd consider making an appropriate sized slot across the top with a cutting wheel in a Dremel tool, even if you have to nick the "foundation" on either side a bit.

Then, say a prayer, and try and unscrew it with a well fitting slot screwdriver. You might want to put the screwdriver in the slot and give it a few taps with a hammer to shake things loose a bit before you give it your all.

Oh, and give each side of the screwdriver tip a few crosswise swipes with a file before you try. The fresh scratches will help keep it from camming out of the slot.

Good luck, and maybe one of the others here will have an alternate suggestion.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If you're talking about the "Easy Out" type extractors: NO NO NO THESE THINGS ARE A COMMUNIST PLOT TO RUIN THINGS EVERYWHERE.

Just my mild personal opinion . Every time, the extractor expands the screw so it will never come out. Or, if you're really lucky, it will break off leaving you with an expanded screw and a hardened part in the middle of it.

My procedure: Come up with some sort of drill guide so you can drill right down the center of that screw. Takes some ingenuity. Then, use a left hand drill just smaller than the base of the threads and drill out the screw. At some point, the screw will catch on the drill and come right out.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I like your suggestion.

Thanks for your help.

Ignoramus15341

Thanks. I think that I will try the slot suggestion first.

Ignoramus15341

What? They're all metric? ;-)

Seriously, one thing to always try before getting smart with tools is to just turn the broken off screw with something sharp, like a pair of needles pressed against its broken end to turn it. Surprisingly often, a headless screw turns easily.

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

For just getting a grip on a screw that is free to turn, ease out extractors work well. If the screw is tight the extractor just spreads them and wedges them in tighter.

If you can slot the screw an impact wrench gives the best chance of getting it out.

Drilling it out is sometimes the only way :-( Chances are the thread will get damaged, so it may need to have a helicoil repair.

Good luck.... I think you will need it

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

i did this for a friend, i have a small metal cutting lathe and his antenna broke off at the base.. i then loaned him my drill bits, screw extactor.. one of the bits i think it is a center type. the kind you put in the lathe and drill a center hole on the end of the stock metal to set up in the lathe.. it kinda fat for such a small bit.....anyway he had to drill into the center of the broken screw and make a small indentation and then drill further with a thinner bit and then got a hole about 1/16 or a little bigger and then used the smallest screw extractor and put it into the hole and turned it out(backwards motion) counter clockwise-as you are unscrewing it...)..... i then took his broken off antenna and the broken screw part and made a two sided screw, different sized threads for him to reapply the antenna.. of course after putting a new hole into the antenna..... what you might do is try a reversible drill/driver to see if the screw part will come out.. i found that in most cases the broken part of the screw will come out as the force it hold on the antenna is now removed--unless the screw is bottomed out inside the hole???? dont think it is....ir if that dont work, how about some mini-jewelers screw drivers???? if you dont have any you can get a set at the Dollar Stores.. use the smallest one (maybe two, one in each hand and work on gripping the broken screw backwards(counterclokwise ) to see if it will move freely... i would try this before doing any drilling onit as you might just jam it in harder?? hope this helps.

Reply to
jim

We are talking about an aerial that's been sitting exposed to the elements, maybe road salt so it might not be so cooperative. An automatic centerpop, at an angle, might free it up. Be careful though, if it slips it can go through unprotected skin. Not that I'd make a mistake like that.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ouch!