Building a go-Kart Frame

I have wanted to build a go-kart for the longest time now and have finally bought an engine but i have no idea how to build a propper frame that would support me and the engine. Also I have no Idea how to go about making the stearing mechanism. I was thinking of using mild steel or aluminum I really don't know which one to go for. I mig-weld so i hope i would be able to weld the frame together. i have looked all over the internet for free plans. but the only one I found I really didn't like. Please help me and point me in the right direction...

Mark

Reply to
mark

You get what you pay for. (If you're lucky..)

Didn't take much to Google this up (one of many)..Screw going west, go Google young man!

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

mark wrote: (clip) Please help me and point me in the right direction... ^^^^^^^^^ If you are going to build a cart, there must be a track somewhere near you where they drive them and race them. Go there and look at everything you see. This will not give you a finished plan, but it WILL fill your head with a lot of ideas, so the plan you finally adopt or work out will make sense.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

You can buy a lot of the "fabricated" parts like steering arms, steering columns, keyed axle shafts, wheels & hubs, brakes, etc from places like Northern Tool

for "hobby/fun-kart" type projects or from American Powersports
for more expensive "racing" karts (they have "fun-kart" parts, too). Northern Tool also has a go-kart building "manual" for about $10, they sell go-kart plans, and American Powersports has about 20 different karting books for sale. Good luck, David

Reply to
David Courtney

See I am on a very strict budget and was looking for free plans online. There really isn't a track that i could go and look at to get ideas from other people. So I was wondering if anybody new a great sight for free plans. I looked at one but i really didn't like it.. thanks you guys for your help!!

Mark

Reply to
mark

If you want to build a "budget" kart, as opposed to a "performance" kart then you can do a lot with a few lengths of 1-inch RHS and a couple of those really cheap Chinese loading trolleys :-) You won't even need a tubing bender. Check out my "kart" at

-- you can contact me via

Bruce Simpson

It sounds like in your position, buying a set of plans and/or components will be the most economical way to go.

Can you afford to build the kart 3 or 4 times trying to learn how to do it?

Rick

Reply to
Rick

See I am on a very strict budget and was looking for free plans online. There really isn't a track that i could go and look at to get ideas from other people. So I was wondering if anybody new a great sight for free plans. I looked at one but i really didn't like it.. thanks you guys for your help!!

Mark

Reply to
mark

mark wrote: (clip) There really isn't a track that i could go and look at to get ideas from other people (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yeah, but then where are you planning to run it? They're not street legal, you know.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

You should have watched Junkyard Wars last night -- it's on again on Sundy -- don't miss it. Jet-powered gokarts made from scrap in 10 hours ;-)

-- you can contact me via

Bruce Simpson