Calibrate a flowmeter?

One of my flowmeters needs to be rebuilt. It is a Victor, the kit is available, and I know which part needs replacing. What I don't know is whether the flow gauge itself is made to operate at 25 PSI or 80 PSI. The ambiguity is because the Victor manual for this device is for two part numbers, 2325 and 2380. 2380 is stamped on my unit and according to the manual the 2380 is for CO2 at 8-28 SCFH and the 2325 is for argon or helium, 10-50 SCFH argon and 20 to 150 helium. However, my unit is set up with the 580 CGA inlet which is for high pressure argon, C25, and Helium. And as near as I can tell the inlet is original, it came from the factory the way it is now. So that's a long way to say that I would like to figure out what the flow is. If I put a flow gauge in line with the existing flow gauge, just the tube and ball assembly, would it tell me what the tube and ball assembly in front of it is flowing? Somehow I don't think so. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Putting two flowmeters in series would likely affect the flow resistance and thus reduce the actual flow rate, but whatever volume is flowing certainly should be the same through both, where else could the gas go?

Reply to
Pete C.

I understand that they should both read the same. What I don't know is how much adding the extra flow meter will affect the flow from the first one. I guess I'll just have to try it and see. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I think I just figured it out. If I connect a known good flow meter to a cylinder and set the flow with a fixed orifice and then transfer this fixed orifice to the flow meter in question I can see if it flows the same. If it doesn't then I can change the regulator pressure until it does. I have two Victor flow meters that use the same flow adjusting valve. One is the meter that needs repairing. So after the repair I will open up both valves wide open and then screw a fixed orifice valve into each one in turn and compare the results. ERic

Reply to
etpm

. I have two Victor flow meters that use the same flow

Or take a gallon zip lock bag and time how long it takes to fill the bag. And then do the math to change to liters per second or what ever.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster