Calling out surface finish

Pursuant to my 3/16" x 1/2" aluminum bar quest, I'm thinking of getting some bids for some 12" long bars -- assuming that a shop will just whack them out of 3/16" plate.

I know how to call out "mill finish" -- is there a good way to call out "about as good as mill finish but no worse", assuming I'm working with a machine shop that wants everything specified down to a gnat's eyelash?

I mean -- I want something better than +/- 1/16" tolerances and visible saw marks, because I can do that with my own hack saw. But I don't want to pay for anything better than +/- .010 and kinda-sorta-good finish, either.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Just put those words in a note on your print. But don't assume that anyone will just read them. Make sure you actually speak with someone, or if you're emailing this out to several shops, put the words very clearly in the email.

Tell them exactly what you're looking for and what you're NOT willing to pay for. Don't rely on "standard" notation, many shops will just overlook it.

There's no substitute for good communications.

Reply to
rangerssuck