Can I use a round adjustable die for fixing damaged threads or should I also buy "rethreading" dies?

Hello, I am getting serious about being a home mechanic. I already have a few metric round-adjustable Greenfield dies that I have used to "extend" the treading into the blank sections on some longer bolts (M6, M8, M10 and M12). A friend of mine stated stated that you should not use the round "threading" dies for retreading work since they simply shave away the deformed metal rather than coaxing the threads back into shape like hexagonal dies would. Is this correct? So should I also purchase some of the Hex shaped "rethreading" dies if I already own the circular versions?

Reply to
SrivSanjay

Are the bolts critical? If they are really critical and serious things would happen if they fail, then consider new bolts. But if they are holding the wheels on a wheelbarrow and the worst that could happen is that you have to buy a new bolt...............

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

mattathayde had written this in response to

:

------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

just to add, if the damage isnt to intense you probably will be fine, now if the thread are mashed down ya you might have an issue

just need to use judgment if it will matter much... if its going to be a PITA to fix something that gets ripped out or stripped out then just a new bolt, for the most part fasteners are cheap, even the expensive ones are usually cheaper than the work to fix a broken off/stripped out one

-matt

Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking - 169927 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
mattathayde

:

Note that Sanjay is probably in India where the cost of labor is very different than here - it may make sense to repair something we would discard. The key on repairing a damaged bolt is to push the threads back into place, so yes, if you can get the thread restoring dies as well as the cutting dies it would be helpful. But compare the cost of the die to the cost of bolts and see if it makes sense. Where it is important is when the damaged threads are part of something that itself is expensive - a wheel spindle, or a stamped, forged, or cast part - then restoring the threads makes a lot of sense

Reply to
Bill Noble

Well you are correct that one shouldn't bother with simple bolt fasteners since they are cheap. However, some parts which have integral threading can be expensive. For instance, variousus ball joints on the steering and suspension components or the drive axles. The treads of these components are usually rusted and grimed up from road debris by the time you have to open them. The threading on the steering link can get a bit bruised from an arm puller.

Reply to
SrivSanjay

Well, actually, my parents are from India. I myself am in the US so I have no problem getting fasteners, but as you said, some threaded parts can be expensive like ball joints or the front drive shafts. The threading on those always have rust and road grime. I was just wondering if thread restoring dies offer any advantage over regular round adjustable dies or is it that tap manufacturers simple want you to buy a second set. From what I've heard so far it seems like a worthwhile investment.

Reply to
SrivSanjay

Well, actually, my parents are from India. I myself am in the US so I have no problem getting fasteners, but as you said, some threaded parts can be expensive like ball joints or the front drive shafts. The threading on those always have rust and road grime. I was just wondering if thread restoring dies offer any advantage over regular round adjustable dies or is it that tap manufacturers simple want you to buy a second set. From what I've heard so far it seems like a worthwhile investment.

All hex-shaped dies are not thread-restoring dies. For example Craftsman has a line of threading dies that are hex-shaped.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

line of threading

I scored a rather large set of hex shaped dies from the large factory I just tore down. All primary threading dies.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch