Can I use this P&W 2A jig borer as a milling machine

Here's a jig borer

I won it for $50 bucks.

Before I scrap this thing, I wanted to know if perhaps I can use it as a milling machine, since it has a DRO. Thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus1742

Watch out for the tooling -- it requires special P&W collets.

Like any classic jig borer, the spindle is great for accuracy but not so much for handling lateral loads. It's made for drilling and boring holes.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"This vee type of way system does not handle heavy side loading while moving like the box and dovetail."

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Ignoramus1742 fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Well... of course you CAN use it as a mill, Ig. But it's DAMNED big, and DAMNED heavy. How much milling of the sorts of sizes and weights that thing will handle do you actually do?

I would think something more like a common BP mill would suit. You can always rip the DRO and scales off that unit before scrapping it.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yes, I know, but it does come with collets and such.

So, what would happen if I start milling with it, collets will fall out or spindle would fail, or what>

Reply to
Ignoramus1742

I do not do any heavy milling, just for maintenance purposes or some such, the biggest would be a 3/4" end mill.

I always take DROs off...

Ignoramus1742

'Can't tell you specifically. Back when I was reporting on these things, the transition from jig borers to jig mills (like the DeVlieg) was a subject of a lot of discussion about spindle bearings and spindle diameters, spindle-bearing arrangements, and so on. The fact is that jig borer spindles are made for highly accurate drilling and boring, and just aren't designed to take much of a side load.

Reply to
Ed Huntress