Car Buying

This is the time of year for deep discounts on cars. New models coming out and all. A few years ago I walked into a Nissan shop just kicking tires and I was bored so I decided to mess with these obviously tired salesmen. So the story goes like this. I said I would make a small down payment on a Sentra. They had some incentive so it seemed Ok I told them I would have a flatbed truck load the car and drop it off at my house where I would park it in a dry garage under a cover and up on stands so no flat spots on the tires. I would start it monthly just to keep it going and in 9 months I would have the flatbed bring it back with zero miles but a model year older. Why would I do such a thing? To findout what it was really worth. I tried to explain that it was still a new car just not stored on their lot. They had no answer. We all know that a 99 model year car might be made in early 98 or mid 99. I guess the answer is that cars are worth about half of what you pay for them in cash. There is simply no reason to pay 400bux a mont for a chunk of metal that sits probly 20 hours out of 24 and only goes down in value for every mile racked up. I used to work for a guy that probably spent more on car washes for his Explorer and lexus than I did for my little honda civic. Rant mode off.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Of course. Which is why Ive never bought a car newer than 4 yrs old, and then haggled for low blue even then. Simply driving it off the lot costs about 20% of the value, the moment the rear bumper passes the curb. Hell..signing your name on the dotted line costs about 20% of the value at the least. Its now a "used car"

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Always the best reason to never buy new if you have ANY mechanical aptitude at all

Reply to
Brent Philion

Cars last so well these days that you don't even need the mechanical aptitude. Just get something that's a couple of years old and wasn't driven too hard, and drive it 'till it costs more to fix than a newly used one costs to buy.

We do own one car that we purchased new (well, it was an orphan from 2 model years back), but that's mostly because we wanted to say that we'd done it once. It's nearly 10 years old now; it's going strong but the rear seat has collected quite a few stains from our kids -- we have a cover on it now. It simply isn't showing significant signs of wear, and it has around 140k on it now.

In my opinion new car buyers were put on this earth to knock the first

40% off the price of a car while only knocking out only 20% of the value.
Reply to
Tim Wescott

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:34:45 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Brent Philion quickly quoth:

I disagree. With the extremely good and long new-car warranties coupled with the reliability of new vehicles, I hope to never buy another used car again. I've owned only one new vehicle, the '90 F-150 I now drive, and it has been the best experience of my car- owning life. I've also watched so MANY others pay the same amount of money to keep up a used car with tons of miles on it that I did in payments on the new truck with no maintenance costs. So if it costs the same amount, why NOT go NEW? You get that new car smell! (What is that, anyway, formaldehyde and plastic?)

My suggestions:

If you have no mechanical aptitude, buy only new vehicles and trade them in at the first sign of trouble.

If you have some mechanical aptitude, buy new vehicles and trade them in when you get tired of working on them.

If you have lots of mechanical aptitude, buy at least one new vehicle for your family/self and keep other vehicles you can afford to have break on you.

When I say "trade them in" I mean sell them for the best profit and get the new car. Never go to a dealer and trade in your old car. They give peanuts on the dollar.

And spend the time to order your perfect truck from the factory. The dealer doesn't get to rip you off on goodies you don't need and a vehicle color that will make the maid blush. I did this twice. First, I hammered out a decent price (~$16k) at Red Richie Ford in Encinitas CA in May. 6 weeks later, they called me to say "Oops, we made two orders with the same number that day and they made the car, not the truck. Would you like us to reorder?" Needless to say, my crushed phone receiver was still smoldering an hour later.

So, I told my sister about it and she told me about Bill Fell Ford in Fairfield, CA. I called him, gave him the specs I wanted, and he sold the truck to me for $13.7k. 6 weeks later, after I had sent new mirrors ($100 cheaper at Whitney than Ford) and some other goodies up to my sister's via UPS, I flew up and picked up my new pickup. I grabbed my long-distance girlfriend and spent a few days driving back via CA Hwy 1. We had a room with a hot tub in San Simeon which made the trip even more memorable.

I also had a chance to drive down Pismo Beach. 4 miles down, and no trouble so far, I had to turn around. A very high wave came in just before I turned and as I slowed to turn, the wheels sunk up to the axle. Luckily, there was a fisherman at the end there and he was driving a little Nissan 4x4. He had no tow rope but I had sent motorcycle tiedowns to my sister's for securing our luggage in the bed. Those would do. I linked them together with the steel hooks and the guy pulled, instantly straightening the hooks.

OK, that didn't work. I tied them together and he tried again, this time breaking the thick 1" nylon banding. Hmm, the fisherman is getting tired of trying. OK, I dug out in front of the wheels and lowered the air in the tires. This time it pulled right out. OK, truck christened in fire and that was the last time I ever got it stuck. (Knock on wood.)

In the first dozen years, I put 3 sets of tires on it, tuned it up 3 times (Amazing, isn't it? I love EFI.), put a drag link and tie-rod ends on it, redid the brakes at 70k, and installed poly leafspring bushings for more stability.

In the first 8 years, I did nothing but a single tuneup and a set of tires. I love a reliable vehicle!

Just before I moved up here, the auto tranny's 4th gear went out and I had it rebuilt before driving up. Cha CHING: $1825.

Since moving up here, I've replaced the starter, plug wires, and alternator. I'm starting to think it's time for a new truck, but now they're starting at $25k!

If you're in CA, NV, or OR, look to Bill Fell for your Ford pickups. He'll make you a great deal. I haven't called him for a replacement yet, but he has been sending birthday cards every year since 1991. The man knows about customer loyalty. I'll be back. Fairfield is about an hour from the SF Bay area up on I-80.

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there. -

Website Application Programming -

Reply to
Larry Jaques