Car tire balancing at home possible?

Threaded View
Is there a way to balance wheels at home without a computer baalancer? I ha=
ve seen at harbor freight kits designed for motorcycle tires, bubble balanc=
ers and the like. I have heard bubble balancers are not acurate.=20

Does anyone have any idea on "good" redneck ways to do this? I dont live ne=
ar a shop. (Amish country).=20

I have also heard of people putting some sort of rubber toy pellets inside =
a tire. Supposedly as the tire spins these pellets locate themselves at the=
 appropriate places centrifically to balance the tire. I assume this is sim=
ilar to the liquid tire balancer you can purchase for large trucks.

I appreciate any advice.

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

Is there a way to balance wheels at home without a computer baalancer?
I have seen at harbor freight kits designed for motorcycle tires,
bubble balancers and the like. I have heard bubble balancers are not
acurate.

-Does anyone have any idea on "good" redneck ways to do this? I dont
live near a shop. (Amish country).
-I appreciate any advice.

I balanced my truck tires to run smoothly without functioning shock
absorbers with a home-made balance. It consisted of an aluminum disk
with a step turned to a close fit in the wheel's center hole, and a
tapped hole through the center. The balancing mechanism is an upright
post of sharpened music wire mounted in a small ball bearing and a
bolt that screws into the disk, with a conical recess in the threaded
end that rests on the point of the post.

Its sensitivity depends on how high the point is above the tire's
center of gravity. Turning in the bolt raises the tire until the
balance is very delicate, a quarter ounce or less tilts the tire
considerably. It could be set so sensitive that it didn't need a
bubble. I compared the tire to the horizon.

On those wheels at least, if the heavy spots were high on one side and
low on the other the tire would wobble when spun slowly even though it
had been in static balance.

*If you don't see why, hang a wrench from a thread slightly off center
so it hangs freely at an angle, then spin it and watch centrifugal
force level it. The wrench ends simulate a tire that's heavy in
different places on opposite sides.

You can decrease the effect of a too-heavy weight by using a pair of
them, one on either side of the light spot. Their apparent weight
decreases as you move them both further apart. When they are directly
opposite each other they don't affect the balance at all.

Then I noticed that the shock mount had broken loose at the top where
it was normally hidden.

The balancer is spinning on the desk beside me now, minus the tire.
I've adjusted it to be slightly unstable, CG barely above the balance
point, so it tips sideways just before it stops turning.

The problem with this design is rapid point wear. I had to resharpen
the point for each tire.

jsw

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

Use a pair of conical recesses and a bearing-ball.

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

Static friction would be much higher, though it wouldn't increase as
fast. Right after sharpening it was sensitive to the weight of the
valve cap.

The music wire point has degraded to a half-round ~0.015" in diameter
and needs to be resharpened. I can't tell the shape of the recess. If
the truck wheel wasn't so heavy I'd use a ball point pen tip.

jsw

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:57:53 -0400 in rec.crafts.metalworking, "Jim

When I need a nice hard pointy thing I usually make it from the 1/8"
shank of a broken carbide circuit board drill.

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

Do you have any pictures? I am having a little problem visualising. (I also dont
have acess to a lath and mill).

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

It isn't a hand-tool project. I've been arranging the parts and
thinking how to take a useful photograph but only a cross-section
drawing that shows the suspension point relative to the center of
gravity would really help. The important parts are hidden when it's
assembled and anyway it's a custom fit to a certain old aluminum Ford
wheel, and wouldn't work for rims with a different offset.
http://www.nicoclub.com/tech/images/tech-offset-image2.jpg

I learned how to do a redneck wheel alignment at the racetrack, but
never saw then balance tires without a machine.

jsw

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?
seen at harbor freight kits designed for motorcycle tires, bubble balancers and
the like. I have heard bubble balancers are not acurate.
tire. Supposedly as the tire spins these pellets locate themselves at the
appropriate places centrifically to balance the tire. I assume this is similar
to the liquid tire balancer you can purchase for large trucks.

The question illustrates why the demographic trend is for the country to
become more urbanized.  Hicks who want to live far from civilization pay
a price in lack of amenities and inferior services.  Besides redneck
wheel balancing, you probably also could methods for DIY hillbilly root
canal and - of course! - colon cancer screening, but the results will be
typically bad.

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

The services are only "inferior" if you haven't learned the
alternatives. I have friends who lived for years without mains
electricity or running water. I loaned them a generator but they
didn't use it much. They were neat and well-dressed when they went out
and if you met them you'd never know.

My grandmother had a rural do-it-yourself book printed in 1820 that
lamented how everyone had moved to town and forgotten the old
self-reliance.

jsw

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

"Self-reliance" doesn't mean doing everything for yourself.  There are
gains from exchange, both among nations and among individuals.

Years ago, a colleague criticized me for not doing my own car repairs.
To him, it was just unarguably a mark of virtue to fix his own car, and
he regarded those who didn't as morally deficient - "sinners", in a way.
  I asked him, "Do you do your own dry cleaning, too?"  He didn't have
an answer.

My only point in my original reply in the thread is that if you're going
to live in the sticks, you are forced to choose between doing a lot of
things for yourself that others conveniently and relatively cheaply hire
out to have done, or to travel long distances to get done.  I think
trying to figure out how to balance your own wheels is just absurd.

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

Five trips to two tire shops hadn't cured speed-dependent steering
wheel shake.

BTW I learned to do my own spot-free drycleaning as a field sevice
tech. Working in unfamiliar places with only carry-on luggage can be
more difficult and uncertain than backpacking in the mountains. And in
Flint MI, more hazardous.

jsw

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

Then either you don't have a wheel balance problem, or you are
patronizing incompetent and/or unethical businesses.

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

If you read my post you'd see I had a broken upper shock absorber
mount. It wasn't visible without sticking my head way into the
wheelwell. Being disconnected it failed to absorb the minor vibration
of slight imbalance as it should have and let the suspension resonate
at around 30 and 60MPH.

Don't be so defensive. I haven't attacked your choice to buy services
rather than learn skills. As a downtown apartment dweller I couldn't
do much either.

jsw

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

I do an informal "make-or-buy" analysis for all kinds of service and
repair tasks, much as any firm might do (a "make-or-buy" flag is a
standard field on a parts master in any ERP computer package.)  What
I've found is that over time, and as manufactured goods become
simultaneously (and somewhat paradoxically) both more complex and
cheaper, the option to do it myself becomes less and less economically
sensible.  Either the the repair shouldn't be done at all - the total
cost of it exceeds the cost of replacement - or it requires an
ever-increasing amount of sophisticated tools and technical expertise.

This is not a new phenomenon, but the pace of it is accelerating.  My
grandfather, a fairly mechanically adept farmer in downstate Illinois
when the Great Depression started, never did accommodate himself to the
throwaway culture that had emerged and begun to take over by the time he
died in 1969.

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?
snipped-for-privacy@SouthTeats.con says...

If it's speed dependent it probably isn't balance.  More likely to be
some slop in one of the linkages in the steering or suspension.  Balance
will give vibration at any speed, but more rapid at higher speed.

One local tire shop does a complimentary suspension diagnosis whenever
you buy a set of tires.  They dont' do repairs, they just do a
diagnosis, and if they find an alignment problem or worn parts they give
you a list of things that need fixing, which you can then take to a
repair shop to get fixed.

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

   Don't feed the sockpuppet

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

He raised a point that needs to be dulled.

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

   Maybe, but they won't go away if you keep feeding them. :(

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:03:57 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Brake drums and rotors have been known to be out of balance, too. Did
either of those shops balance the front wheels -on- the vehicle?  I'm
guessing that the front suspension, tie rods, drag link, idler
bushings, and wheel bearings were tested and were tight & proper.

Because of your fluids?  (If not, what did I miss?)

--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

(comparing Paine to the current CONgress <deep sigh>)

Re: Car tire balancing at home possible?

Because of working on GM production-line equipment in a white shirt
and tie.

jsw

Site Timeline