carrying steel 20 footers on top of my Explorer

I've posted about this before, but today I used my "canoe racks" again to bring home ten 1-1/2x1-1/2x.120" wall square steel tubes - about 450 pounds - home from the steelyard using just my little Ford Explorer, the smallest Explorer ever made. They worked perfectly, and as usual I got a lot of surprised looks from people who don't expect to see this.

The key is having trailer hitches installed fore and aft. Then I made up these outriggers from 2x2x1/4" steel tube. The top is 2x3/8" flat, punched in several places and with flat hooks forged from 1/2" square bar welded on. In these pictures I've used 1" tiedowns (1500# rated) to secure the load.

As it's very inconvenient to not be able to go in and out the rear door, I made the rear outrigger so it tilts back and then stops positively.

Here are some pix:

overall shot:

of base of front support:
of top rail:
rear support tilted back:
the rear door:
This method isn't for everyone. Some steelyard employees love it, others hate it. But I can use my car to bring home long stuff without having to own/license a truck or trailer.

For carrying one or two lengths of pipe, I bolt small pipe vises to the front & back toprails. Very solid. For carrying stuff like conduit, I have a 16' long piece of 6" PVC tube with one end capped and the other end with a door (a commercial product, that door). I strap the whole PVC pipe up there, then I can just pop the stuff in and drive.

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Sweet! - well thought out.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Davey

Reply to
JR North

Maybe. With 1000 pounds of tension or so on the straps, there's quite a lot of frictional force between the tubes. You see piles of tube strapped down every day on big flatbed trucks, for example.

GWE

JR North wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Around here a couple of the steel yards deliver for free a couple times a week, even to a residence. Have you asked?

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Yup.

Reply to
Grant Erwin

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:31:01 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, JR North quickly quoth:

So will 90% of all other pipe carrying setups, JR. Lots of things get launched in a collision, including people, trailers, equipment in the back of trucks, other vehicles hurtling over car bumpers, etc.

Shit happens. Why worry?

So, Grant. Did you mount a standard receiver up front there? And why aren't they black instead of galv? ;)

-- Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit. --e e cummings

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Justin

That is a great plan. My friend has a 68 Ford pickup he has rigged with a very stout "lumber" rack that he can extend all the way to supports fixed to the front bumper. ( Made from 10 inch steel pipe.)

I got a free a 45 foot antenna tower that was in three sections and weighed close to 1500 lbs. He hauled it to my house on that rack.

One thing I might suggest is to wire a plug for a red lamp if you ever are going to drive at night or use a red flag during the daylight hours.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The front & rear receivers are standard. My town has a great hitch place, Mann's Eastside Welding, and they put them both on.

The receivers are black. But since I had a customer's order going to the galvanizing shop, I threw the outrigger parts in and got 'em hot dip galvanized for free (the customer's order was way under the minimum weight so even with my parts it was still the minimum cost).

As a matter of fact, pretty soon I'm going to have to go to the steelyard, the cheap picky one quite a ways from my house, and get both 20 footers and 2 4x8 sheets. To this point I've either pulled a trailer (I have access to a 5x9' utility trailer) or used my outriggers. Now I'm going to need to do both. So I'm working on making a tongue on the back that's 4" longer, which will be beveled at 45 degrees and drilled 3/4" for a light duty trailer ball. And I have another job going to the galvanizing shop, so I'll get that new part galvanized too, so it will match.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You're probably right, Justin. It's easy to sit in front of a keyboard and think of why something won't work. Well, I've taken a couple of dozen trips to the steelyard in the last 3 years or so using my outriggers, and have saved thousands of dollars by not owning or licensing/insuring/storing a truck or trailer. When I have a load up there I drive extra carefully, in fact I'm paranoid as heck. If I am just carrying something like 3 or 4 pieces of angle, I clamp those to the top bar using C clamps, which generate quite a bit of clamping force.

As a data point, today I drove home a 2x5 pile of square tubing, all oiled as new steel tube is, and it went on with a magnetic crane so all the ends were dead flat w.r.t. each other. When I got home, they were - well, you can see it in the pictures - still very even.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"Justin" wrote: 2 straps, each with 1000 lb of tension. A (generous) coefficient of

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think it's safer than that. See if you can accept my reasoning: 1.) The tiedown straps make several turns around the load, so the friction force has to be multiplied by that number (sort of analogous to a block and tackle, where you count the ropes and multiply by the tension.

2.) If the load starts to slip (like a javelin being loaunched) it has to slide forward about fifteen feet before the forward tie-down loses its grip. In an accident, I wonder whether the deceleration will remain above the slipping "threshhold" long enough for the tail end of the load to come out of the forward tiedown. You might end up with the stuff resting on your hood, but probably not impaling that child in the stroller.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Reply to
woodworker88

Interesting!

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

I saw this happen. A car stopped for a guy in a crosswalk and the plumber behind her stopped, but one of the pipes on his rack didn't. It went thru the back window and her skull. A simple plate in front of the pipes could have prevented that.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Reply to
Ignoramus7272

Reply to
JR North

"JR North" wrote: in message news:qPudnerkutAekLrYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And they always have something called a "headache bar" (I think.) It's a metal barrier behind the cab which is to keep the load from shifting forward and crushing the driver.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"Ignoramus7272" wrote: a similar thing happened to a lesbian friend of mine. she remained alive due to pure luck. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Couldn't have been pure luck. Probably related to the fact that she was a lesbian. (Just kidding--but seriously, why mention that she is a lesbian?)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Same thing my uncle uses to take tipi poles

\~eph289 to freight line to ship to customer.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch