castellated socket

I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines, whatever they are called. Google just runs me back and forth thru India, NSW and other places. Anyone know of a source?

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Only one I come up with is:

Power House Tool, Inc.

626 Nicholson Street Joliet, IL 60435 Phone: (815) 727-6301 * Fax (815) 727-4835

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Like a 4WD hub nut socket?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That'd be just a trip down to NAPA, etc., and would probably require a special deep socket.

As usual, I'm jonesing to know *what* the weird tool is gonna be used for.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Dave: I need this for the nut holding the yoke on top of the rotor shaft for my Baby Belle helicopter. I'm overhauling the main rotor transmission. The castellated nut has just about zero clearance around the outside so the socket must engage the slots in the castellated nut. So far I've found a couple of possible candidates: A Dana 70 axle nut Snap-on tool @$80. It is not clear that it is the right diameter, another is a socket used in turbine maintenance. It sounds right with the 2" but it has a 1 1/2" drive. The turbine label will probably induce $$. I'm surprised that this is such a special item.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Is the safari the same in this respect?

Maybe they can suggest a tool source.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Is this the one that helicopter mechanics in Vietnam called the "Jesus nut"? You're a brave man, Stu. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

if you're tring to get off one of these:

try this:

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Yes the same bird and acehelicopter told me that they just machined one out of a socket. That is certainly an option but if there is one off the shelf, it saves my socket. Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Yep one and the same. Not brave, just stupid enough to try a bunch of things. Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Thanks Randy, that was a different source. The problem I have is that there is no clearance around the outside of the castellated nut so the socket must look like the Snap-On Tools axle nut socket for the Dana 70 axles. I haven't found the OD of the Snap-On socket, I did find their $80 price tag which makes building one look better.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

$80 makes building look good- but maybe it can be made from a piece of pipe?

Before I had a mill, I was fond of brazing bits of cut nails, or other scrap, to the end of a pipe rather than machining it down.

You could even braze/weld pieces to the outside of the pipe, extending below the end a bit, to make clearance a non-issue.

End cap and an old extension (or filing a square hole), and you have a place to put the torque wrench.

Just curious, how many foot-pounds does this get torqued to?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Doesn't say in the transmission assembly manual. I guess it is the standard propellor retention torque: "All you can do with both hands and a quarter turn more". I will have to do some analysis to come up with my best guess as to what the proper torque should be. The Yoke that it restrains is double keyed to the shaft and is heated to 300° then pressed on and then the "Jesus" nut is torqued and a safety bolt is screwed into the side creating a good safety.

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Buy a harbor freight grade socket, or better yet, a decent one from a pawn shop, and have at it.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

As I fondly recall, the "extender" for the Huey Jeasus nut was about 20 feet long.

You can get quite a bit of torque from one of those....

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

I used a new black impact 1/2" to 3/4" adapter of similar national origin on a Chevy S10 front axle nut last week and sheared it right off, just me pulling on a 20" breaker bar, no hammering or other normal abuse. I've made sockets like that for military ground equipment but there are no Jesus nuts on a radio.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Wander into an Autozone or Advance Auto and ask to look at the set of axle nut sockets they will have for tool rental. If they have the one you need rent the set and return it when your done. You pay a deposit equal to the cost of the tools, they return it when you bring them back. No charge for the use of the tools as long as you don't break them.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hey Stu,

Often, the castellation spacing of the "hills and valleys" are equal. If that is the case with you problem, any chance of getting an old nut and brazing it onto a tube shaft.

Brian Laws > I'm looking for a castellated socket 2" OD with 6 tangs, splines, > whatever > they are called. Google just runs me back and forth thru India, NSW > and > other places. Anyone know of a source?

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Voice of Reason here... Damn, Ed beat me to it.

If you are removing and replacing the Jesus Nut I would be a VERY leery of off-the-wall solutions, since for obvious reasons you do NOT want to put any side stress on that shaft, or damage the nut in any way during the process of removal and replacement.

Belt, suspenders, and safety pin your shirt to your pants - that sucker fails in flight you'd better have your will in order.

Unless you can track down the exact specs on how that socket needs to be made (all dimensions, materials, heat treat, plating, etc.) and duplicate it properly, this is the time to suck it up and find the proper socket wrench. Track down the actual manufacturer of said nut, if anyone knows a cheap(er) place to get the wrench they will.

One company makes the tool, but other suppliers will buy it and put their name on it - and double the price. Track down the OEM, and it won't be as bad.

The aircraft industry often figures out how /not/ to do something after a fatal crash or two - like how /not/ to remove and replace DC-10 engines with a forklift instead of the proper cradle and hoist.

And you don't want to be the one that finds out how /not/ to do this.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman