CEO salaries

There is much consternation about CEO salaries, but not as much clear thinking.

The argument that suggests that CEOs in public companies are "overpaid" is based on visibly very high salaries, and the ssumption that CEOs wield so much influence over boards and compensation committees, that they are able to "negotiate" overly generous compensations.

That assumption may or may not be true.

TO find out whether it is true is actually very easy. All one needs to do is compare CEO salaries in public companies, with CEO salaries in comparable non-public (privately owned) companies, where the owner is not the CEO. Presumably, the private owners who hire CEOs negotiate their salaries at "arm's length" and the private company CEO salary is a good indicator of what is fair.

Since I am unlikely to have come up with such a simple comparison idea first, some studies must have been done to this effect.

Is anyone aware of any such comparisons?

Ignoramus14968

Did you accidently post this to the wrong group Ig?

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

You know this subject is really off topic and by playing this game, you are actually feeding the trolls like Hawke and Millright Ron. Please do this elsewhere. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Iggy,

Being the president and CEO of Fraser Competition Engines LLC. All I can entertain is I'll never be off road racing with Skilling, Hob-knobbing with Mr. Gates in a Cessna Citation, Matter of fact my operating capital and bonus ledger lines come from the change I shake loose from the cracks of my couch. Funny thing going from being the vice president of a Chicago based bank division to where I am today in my engine shops. I would have opted to retain the corporate nipple to suckle from. There is so much greed and corruption it pandemic to see and worse to see nothing really being done until pensions are raided. Enter the FBI. Frankly, I'm still happier with a tig torch and jeans than an Armani suit and a bullshit TPS report and swingline stapler.

My comparison off topic, off color but you know I'm not all there anyhow. Take a look at January's Crain's Chicago. Your point is addressed rather well in an article there in.

** Respects and I'm back! The cancer did not kill me yet. I bought a new CR250 dirt bike and a 7 cell parachute to do that! ***

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

312.213.9454 snipped-for-privacy@RobFraser.Net
Reply to
Rob Fraser

Seconded. How's that homemade TIG welder doing, Iggy?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Good for you. My dad has been in the hospital for two weeks tomorrow, where they had to remove about half of his colon, due to two cancerous growths. They still haven't said when he can go home.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It is not exactly homemade. It is a modified commercial welder with a bunch of new guts, microcontroller, etc. It works fine. The fan was noisy, so I replaced it with a Comair Rotron Caravel.

It takes a lot of space, though.

Ignoramus14968

My question is -- when C.E.O.s have finally succeeded in laying off the entire North American economy, forcing everyone to become a McJob holding Wal-Mart wage slave, who the hell will be able to afford your products? Are former Ford employees going to buy Fords? Are Hewlett- Packard employees who have been screwed around by HP going to buy HP products? Are people with no jobs, or poverty-level waged jobs, going to be able to afford anything? Millwright Ron

Millwright Ron

Thanks Mike,

Thoughts too you and your dad.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Fraser

I'm sorry, if you want the job of netnanny, you will have to register properly. We already have one, and ten people waiting on line for him to die. It could be a long time until appointment, and there is no pay or benefits.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thank you. He was supposed to be released this morning, but it didn't happen. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell