Chainsaw sharpening redux

I got out my Craftsman chain saw sharpener and found out that my instructions had been fused into one stiff piece of cardboard instead of several folded sheets when it was new. A query to Sears produced no decipherable results.

So, I took the simple silver dollar sized sharpening guide provided by Husquvarna with the saw and gave each tooth twenty strokes.

Went out and dueled with horizontal trees. Worked just fine.

I realize that dirt, sand, and rocks are the sworn enemy of any chain saw. You can dull a saw in two seconds on said materials.

Nuff said.

Except, I personally think that you can be too picky on some things. Just like knives, if you know the angle, and pay attention, it ain't rocket surgery.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Good to hear it. The Husky guide is a good handle to pull the hot oily chain forwards. I file a notch to mark the starting and ending point if the chain doesn't already have an obvious one, like two right cutters together.

Rocket surgery, huh? Lithium battery surgery is more than enough for me. Don't nick a hypergolic artery.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Reply to
RoyJ

I think 20 stroke is way too much. I use 4. If the chain has hit a nail or a rock, I still take 4 strokes all the way around. Then go back and take 4 more until the offending tooth or two are totally cleaned up. With 20 strokes you will be shortening the life of the chain unnecessarily.

Pete Stanaitis

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
spaco

3 and check with a finger, ignore the occasional bad one so I don't shorten the chain. The file doesn't sharpen them enough to actually cut my calloused finger although a grinder or Dremel diamond will.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I thought it was working TOO good. I'll tone it down.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

20 strokes? either your file is worn out or you chain was used as a narrow rototiller

You get a few sharpenings from a file, not a few dozen, after that you are wasting time.

Reply to
beecrofter