cheap AC welder in Miami?

I'm curious if that guy in Miami ever found his cheap AC welder. I quit posting the ones I've seen up here after a week or two, figuring I'd made my point, that he really wasn't looking correctly. It's hard for me to imagine a place so devoid of guys selling little old welders. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

RoyJ

I'd agree. In the Philadelphia area The dominant newspaper can go days without any listings for "machinery and tools". Last year I managed to find a 20 year old wood jointer at a reasonable price but that was in close to 4 years of searching. On the other hand searches on ebay will turn up a scrollsaw almost every month within 50 miles of my home.

When the local machinery auctioneer has a major auction to break up a shop they tend to sell in lots to get it done and the tools either go with a lot of junk or some hobbyist gets crazy and drives the price up. Even so an auction every 4 months is about all that is out there.

Then again I was a mechanical engineer in the area in the 70s and left the profession because the work was unstable, the manufacturers were leaving the area and the pay levels stagnated. There isn't much blue collar or technical people to keep the interest in old iron high.

Still I'm looking for a MIG welder.

Reply to
Howard

Yeah, the jerk conned me into spending $15.00 on a box to ship him mine, then quit cold when he checked on the shipping cost. A real ignoranus. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Craftsman 235 amp machine. Its costing me $80 and I have to pick it up an hour away. I'll probably pick it up next week.

well... posting ads from Oregon featuring $100 dollar welders is like me saying you can buy a "Guyabera" for $15 on any corner. The latter holds true in Miami,FL, but if you live in Ohio, you may have a little trouble with that one. :-)

I know there are towns where everyone has or had a stick welder, many of which end up for sale, but its just not like that here.

I guess the fact that there is really no *need* for an individual to own a welder around here, may play a role, but I dont know. I mean what are you going to do with a stick welder here? There are certainly no farm repairs to make. That *rare* other repair that requires welding, would likely be much faster and economical to have done by the heavily *compeating* pros.

So having no need, leaves those who (like myself) have an interest. And sadly, I really dont think there is all that much interest in either welding or metalworking, around here. Dont know if it's just the times. the area, or a mixture of both.

regards, Art

Reply to
Art

I dont know who contacted you but it sure was not me. regards,

Art

Reply to
Art