Cheapest way to put up a corporate sign

What would be the cheapest way to make a sign (to be hung outside on a wall) with a corporate name.

I do not want anything fancy, just the name of my corporation on a 2x8 sheet of whatever.

I would prefer it made "professionally", rather than do a DIY job.

Ignoramus1471

If you are thinking of putting the sign up in a residential zoned area, good luck!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

CNC mill it of course. A piece of marine plywood, trial V-Carve software, a suitable cutter and a bit of paint is all that is required.

Reply to
Pete C.

No, I am not thinking about that.

Ignoramus1471

There is a local company that has occasional promotions for free banners. It's a professionally made banner, about 2'x4', sewn on the sides, grommeted. e-mail me the particulars, and I'll get you one next time they have a promo.

snipped-for-privacy@geemale.com Make obvious changes

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The cheapest neat-looking way I know is to enlarge a computer-drawn image, either on a drafting plotter or by tracing around an optical projection of an acetate print. Toner fused to acetate holds magic-marker ink better than the clear areas do, so it's easy to blacken the image.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Call local sign shops. If you'd been working flipping burgers you may have been able to earn enough to buy a sign with the time you've spent asking the question.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Damnit all, anyway. I haven't bought/built my CNC router yet. (Funding coming in roughly 2 weeks.)

'Course, you could do it on your CNC mill with a router bit and Corel Draw, Ig. Feed it 2' at a time. If not Corel, then maybe Gimp under Xnix.

-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The sign would need to be larger than my mill can handle.

Let me ask a more direct question.

I have been loking at vinyl signs, and it looks like a typical 2x8 vinyl sign would cost me about $130.

If I buy a vinyl sign with grommets, or a vinyl mesh sign with grommets, and fasten it to the wall, is that going to survive for a few years under the hot Illinois sun and winds?

Ignoramus1471

Yes, no, maybe, absolutely, and I don't have a clue. Depends on sun orientation. How long it stays in the rain/sun/snow. The wind. A good sign, properly tied down would last about two years, and more if the Sign Gods were with you. Depends mostly on the makeup of the sign. Materials. Just like anything else.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

1 yr before they start to look crummy, by mid yr 2 embarrassing.

You have all the tools necessary for a very professional sign, just mill the letters individually and attach to a backing if you don't want to index the workpiece in the mill a few times to do it. Mill aluminum letters, wire brush finish, mount on standoffs with LED lighting behind.

Reply to
Pete C.

Tack together a couple of (used/retired) bedsheets, and recruit your kid and his classmates to make a sign with Tempera paint or poster paint, and maybe slip the teacher ten or twenty bucks to call it a "class project."

Or find somebody that's got a big plotter and just print it on some durable media.

Attachment of grommets, hanging the sign, getting permission to put the damn thing up in this regulatory regime, and so on are left as an exercise for the reader. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yabbut you can shift it X-wise and start cutting again. What are the XYZ params? It looked like a monstrous SOB in your video, IIRC.

It'll look great for a year. It'll start looking ratty sometime after that. Wood/MDO/sign foam (all painted) will look good for 3+ years, from what info I've gathered so far. Shop around by phone. Some guys might need jobs right now and might do it for not much more than the banner guy wants.

-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Excellent idea, Pete. Anodize for colors.

-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I got a nice 2x4' sign from

as a present when a friend opened a shop 2 yrs ago, for under $200 shipped. Still looks great after 2 years in the Maryland weather. They keep sending me emails offering 10% discounts, if you want I'll send you the next one I get.

What would be the cheapest way to make a sign (to be hung outside on a wall) with a corporate name.

I do not want anything fancy, just the name of my corporation on a 2x8 sheet of whatever.

I would prefer it made "professionally", rather than do a DIY job.

Carl Ijames

Have a sign shop use vinyl letters on a decent substrate, like MDO plywood. Not that expensive and more durable and professional.

Reply to
ATP