Clausing 1301 Cross top slide Part 2

Well, I called Clausing today about getting a new top slide for my

1301 lathe. Not too much of a surprise for a 1973 lathe, but they don't have any replacement parts that involve castings, ie the top slide, compound base, lower cross slide etc. Maybe that's because Clausing does not really make anything anymore, they just rebadge overseas iron. Anyway, they will however supply actual dimension drawings of the parts they no longer support for $25/drawing. I'm kinda thinking of milling down the top of my existing t-slotted cross slide, ie milling off the slots to accept a compound base. Perhaps the compound could even come from an "unrelated" lathe of similar size. Before I spend $75 for the three drawings I need, I'd like to know if there is enough meat between the top of the carriage dovetail, and the top of the lower cross slide for me to mill this area flat.... Anyone have a 1301 they would care to measure this dimension? Visually, the thickness of the slotted cross slide looks from the dovetail way to the base of the T-slots looks a thick as the standard one in the parts illustration.. I don't really want to ruin a perfectly good turret type cross slide, but I have my doubt's about finding a good used standard cross slide and compound.
Reply to
oldjag

British lathes, including the South Bends they made under license in WWII, often have T-slotted cross slides. I think the idea was that they could be used for milling and boring larger pieces that way.

Anyway, compounds for those lathes were made to bolt to the cross slide T-slots. If you check UK sources you may find something.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That might work, except I think the top surface of the T-Slot cross slide is too high, ie. bolting on a compound would put the tool post way to high, unless it had a really low profile ~1 inch. The existing Aloris BX tool post sits on a square flange bolted to the tee slots and is right in the middle of it's vert. adjustment. The flange is only about and inch high, probably less than any compound/top slide assy. would be. In any case that's why I need someone with a 1301 to measure their compound height.

Reply to
oldjag

I would check around, Fred Eisner, Joe at Plaza Machinery or a couple of other dealers might have what you are looking for.

I have a 1300 that I am pretty happy with.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

I measured my machine and the top of the compound to the top of the cross slide measures 2.265" and the top of the compound to the flat on the front way measures 4.980".

Looking on the serial number plate, it says that my machine is indeed a

1301.

BobH

Reply to
BobH
[snip]
[snip]

Considering the age of the thing and how modern economics are, be happy that you can get a drawing. I wonder how many other lathe manufactures supply drawings dimensioned for manufacturing your own replacement.

If you are not a member of the yahoogroups clausing_lathe_and_mill list you should join. Maybe someone can measure theirs so you can make a replacement w/o buying the drawings.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I'd suggest that you don't modify the cross slide that you have. Wait until you need that feature. Also, turret lathes often have a tee slot toward the rear of the cross slide that can be used for a cutoff tool, held upside down. Then it's easy to pull the cross slide forward to cut off a part you just machined. Your cross slide could do that. I wish I had that feature on my Atlas 10F! Have you tried Ebay? Folks are parting out lathes all the time. I just looked and there is a Clausing tailstock for auction right now. One could contact the sellers of any of those parts to ask if they have, or know who has, the part you are looking for.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------------

oldjag wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Well I guess I'll keep an eye out for a compound type cross slide one for a few more weeks. The rear cutoff feature is not really that useful for what I would use the lathe for. The issue getting a used one is that the doner lathe has to be pretty clapped out before someone will part it out, and by that time the cross slides are probably pretty worn out too. I finally powered the machine up last night. Seems to work well, no hydraulic leaks, collet closer works, and less than 0.0001 taper in 5 inches on the first turning. Needs a chip pan, and no metric feeds, but not too bad for for 500 bucks.

Reply to
oldjag

I dunno, I've seen plenty of pristine machines broken up and sold in pieces, because they are worth more than a whole one in like-new condition.

Reply to
Rex

Don't bet on it. There are far too many really nice machines parted out via eBay -- because it brings in more money than selling the machine intact.

You expect Metric feeds for $500.00? You *stole* that machine, even bearing in mind that the cross slide is not ideal for your purposes.

*Please* keep the cross-slide intact -- and sell it if you must, to buy a standard cross-slide. A pity that it is not the one for the 12" Clausings, or I would be interested.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

e far too many really nice machines

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF= =BD =EF=BF=BDI finally powered the machine up last

0? =EF=BF=BDYou *stole* that machine,

ct -- and sell it if you must,

I am parting out a 12" Clausing and would have the cross slide it they interchange. Leigh at MarMachine

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN
[ ... ]

You mean a T-slotted one for mine, or a standard one with compound for his? There is a reasonable chance that a standard one from a 12" might fit his 13" -- but no certainty. If he can look up the part number for a 13" standard cross slide from his copy of the manual, I can compare it to the part number for the 12" which I have and see whether they use the same number -- though the 13" one might be a bit beefier and taller overall.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols