Combination Mill\Lathe

The extent of my fine metal working has been to shape aluminum blocks on a cheap wood lathe, welding and spending hours and hours filing and grinding parts for my Unimog. Working out of a 10'x10' shed meant I could only have a lathe or a mill. A couple of weeks ago I visited a local Busy-Bee tools and saw a combination machine that they had on sale. It looked like just what I needed so I plunked my money down. Last week I picked it up (after fabing a crane to move it off my truck and 35' into my shed. Well the crate was much larger then I figured and the crane would not work. I deflated my truck tires on the back and jacked up the front. Slid the machine off on some planks and my son and I (one foot at a time) got it into the shed. (2.5 hours from truck to shed) The next day I bought some more steel to extend my crane base and was able to get the 600lb tool onto its bench. Ouch! I read links from this list where others disassembled the unit (motors, tables etc) to move them, which I will do next time, but it was snowing and so I did not want to take it out of the crate. Any way my (Chinese made) tool seems to be an excellent learning tool and the dual motors mean, when using the Mill the lathes lead screw will power the table in two axis (though not at the same time). The instructions are in a duo-tang(sp?)and the translations are amusing.

Dave D.

Reply to
David De Vuono

Congrats on your score . Unimog , what model ? Seriously the best 4X4 s in the world . Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

What he said - both for the score and the vehicle. The guy down the road a bit is a Unimog dealer. I myself always wanted a gamma goat.

Jim

jim rozen

On 29 Jan 2004 05:02:29 -0800, jim rozen brought forth from the murky depths:

I think I prefer the Unimog to the gamma goat, but this looks like a whole lot of fun, too.

---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My Unimog is a 1968 404S, ex Swiss Military gasoline engine model. One of the first things I want to do with my Mill is machine some aluminum blocks approx 10x10 inches 1 inch think, cutting 3/4 inch deep fins to make a couple of heat sinks to replace some of the transmission panels. These 6 spd manual trannies do not like the continuous 90Kmph speeds and get very hot. I welded steel fins onto the existing transmission plates but think that aluminum plates might cool even better. I've been in a gama goat and they are neat but super noisy and with 6 wheel independent suspension, 4 wheel steering, (built in trailer with powered steering axle) and amphibious, they must be a maintenance nightmare.

Dave D.

Reply to
David De Vuono

I would love to have a Unimog, outrageously neat machines. They will go places no other 4x4 would even think of. Lane

Reply to
lane