Converting a Ferrups UPS to a MEAT smokehouse?

I own a Ferrups 3.0 KVA UPS.

This Ferrups UPS is a steel cabinet about 3x3x1.5 feet. It has the front panel on hinges, and also openable top. I am thinking about converting it to a smokehouse for smoking meat.

I would remove the insides, add a hotplate on the bottom and a thermostat to maintain temperature, and close up some of the holes and add a adjustable vent.

Also I would set up racks inside. It looks like it could be done relatively easily. I have a lot of scrounged hardware for supporting racks, although I would buy new stainless steel racks for food safety reasons.

Any thoughts on this plan? Are there any fatal flaws in it? This UPS is unlikely to fetch any good money these days.

Ignoramus24281

I don't know how hot a smoker will get, but you might want to investigate the fumes that paint puts off when hot. Or just pre-burn it outdoors. If you can, pop out the hinge pins and put a thin coat of never seize on 'em. I'm setting the followups header to just RCM.

Reply to
B.B.

Yes, definitely, I will fully burn the paint off. Will fill this thing with newspapers and wooden logs and will burn it off completely. I do not want to take chances with the paint. I will then paint it with something like BBQ paint.

Reply to
Ignoramus24281

You can buy a slightly smaller meat smoker for about $40. They get tiresome pretty quickly, anyway. WRT burning the paint off, I'm not sure that would completely remove all traces of the original paint, which might be a problem if they used some type of chromate. I think BBQ paint is only meant for the outside of a BBQ, BTW.

Reply to
Vladimir Vladimirovich

That's interesting. I use my nice stainless steel grill for smoking, it works, but has limited capacity. (20 or so lbs of meat) This thing would be able to smoke 2-3x more meat. Smoked meat can be easily frozen.

Dunno about that. I have been smoking meat -- brisket, pork butt, chicken, and fish and always get great results.

I do not think that I need the inside painted. Common sense suggests that if I get a good wood fire going inside the case, for a while, then it should logically become much safer. Meat smoking is done at

225F, or about 107 C, which is not really a high temperature. It is slightly above the boiling point of water.

I just spoke to my mechanically inclined friend, who built smokers, and he says that it is a workable idea.

Ignoramus24281

I don't know about the meat smoker but you just gave me a great idea for a powder coat oven. I have a big Ferrups that took a lightning hit. Been wondering what to do with the shell. :-)

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

I am glad to hear that. Are you going to add some heat insulation to it, to save $$ on electricity?

Reply to
Ignoramus24281

Clean out the cabinet good and it should work fine. You can find plans for smoke cabinets on line to get some of the details right.

rcook5

Thanks!

Ignoramus2238

"Ignoramus24281" wrote

Of course. Wrapping with fiberglass and an outer skin is the easy part. Building a substantial inner liner is harder to do with no sheet metal equipment.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

DH made an electric smoker from an old portable dishwasher, T-stat, electric element, I think extra insulation. Works great.

Reply to
None Given

Sounds great. What kind of thermostat was he using? I am looking at thermostats now and have yet to find something suitable.

Reply to
Ignoramus2238

It's the kind you would put on an electric oven, look at appliance parts suppliers for that and the heating element.

Reply to
None Given

Haven't you found a good use for that thing, yet!

Be sure there is NO cadmium plating anywhere near the heat source or the food. A friend has had cadmium poisioning for years as a result of using refrigerator metal grills on open camp fires.

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

I will buy new SS racks for this if I go for it. It looks exceedingly likely that this UPS will not find buyers.

Ignoramus2238

Thank you! Yes, some of those thermostats do exactly what I want. Is your smoker 220v powered?

Reply to
Ignoramus2238

no

Reply to