Copper or PVC?

My neighbor's got a leak in the hot water line running from the manifold in her utility room to the kitchen sink. The copper line is in or just bellow the concrete slab. The plumber has to dig up a substantial portion of the kitchen floor to replace the corroded line. He's going to use Copper. Wouldn't it be better to use PVC?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

FWIW the Pex heavy duty flexible line is a great solution. Hide it behind a mop board, etc and don't bust up the concrete

Reply to
Karl Townsend

If it is hot water, you might use CPVC. But not PVC. PVC is not good for hot water.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I done screwed up then , all the plumbing in our new house is PVC ... oh

Reply to
Terry Coombs

+1 for Pex, I used some to re-plumb hot water lines in the garage. Much cheaper than copper.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

No. PVC cis not rated for hot water. PEX might be a better option though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That's why I have a problem gettingwater in my weighing cup up to 120+ to use in my bread machine.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

You have that problem because Canada is officially Metric.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

PVC is acceptable up to 140F, which is the hottest setting a water heater should be at. CPVC is good up to 200F.

Reply to
james g. keegan jr.

"james g. keegan jr." wrote in news:NPEcz.72767$ snipped-for-privacy@fx11.fr:

True

Utter nonsense.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Jim Wilkins

+1 for pex and avoiding the digging of the kitchen floor if it isn't absolutely necessary.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

with hot water . I only use mine for mixing and the first rise . FWIW I just started recently using Seal of Minnesota unbleached baking flour from the local Mennonite store . Beats the stuffin' out of the stuff we were buying at Walmart . Picked up a 50 lb bag just today ... I make all our loaf bread , hamburger and hot dog buns , bread sticks , pizza dough . The wife does the sweet stuff ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

"Mine" above refers to my bread machine ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

+2, Pex is cheaper, easier, quicker and better.
Reply to
axolotyl

I would suspect a corrosive environment under the slab since the initial problem is a leak in an older copper line. PEX would be my choice and I would not cut the floor if possible to avoid it.

Reply to
Mr.E

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in news:nkv8g9$4tt$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Like I said... utter nonsense. Quoting from that source:

necessary to prevent the rapid growth of Legionella, the causative agent of Legionella

I fully understand the need for scald prevention -- but that simply means that the water delivered from the tap must not exceed 120 degrees F, which is easily achievable with anti- scald mixing valves. The idea that the *water heater* must be limited to that temperature is complete nonsense.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Cooking is art, baking is science with a bit of art mixed in.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

And both take a simple focus, which most people don't seem to have. If you simply _pay_attention_ while doing either, the results can be truly spectacular.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My step-mother refused to follow recipes thus she only made a few palatable dishes.

Reply to
Tom Gardner