Crankshaft Heat Treatment

Threaded View
Until about 10 years ago, I used to send my inline 6 cyl race cranks to
Industrial Metal Heat Treating  in Newark NJ for Tufftriding, a type of
nitriding process.  I think the process was licensed from the Kolene
company. The cranks were finish ground before treatment and only
required a light polish and straigtening before use.  Usually they were
not out by more than about 0.006" and I  used the hammer peen method to
get them straight within a couple of tenths. These cranks are about 30"
long, weight about 80 lbs and are fairy stout with 3" mains and 2 3/4"
rods, but are a somewhat soft steel.  Additionally, the tuftride
process put the surface of the metal in compression, increasing the
fatigue life.  I think the EPA made things too difficult for this
process to be economical, as I am no longer able to find anyone that
runs it.
  I have since tried Ion nitriding, but wound up with two cranks bowed
more than 0.020 that I could not straighten with hammer peen. I don't
want to use a press to straighten the cranks post treatment as I think
it would weaken the cranks from a fatigue standpoint.  Anyone have any
experiance with a good, fairly low temperature surface hardening
process, that would also help fatigue life and not bow a long item like
a crank?

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment

Look for where aircraft cranks are done. Not positive , but I think
all such cranks must be nitrited. Boy, was that a fun job. Threading
out heavy hot cranks from below your feet and all in one breath or
brave the worst cat box smell one could imagine.

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment

http://www.syracuseheattreating.com /

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment

Actually; the last place I had the cranks done was an aircraft crank
place in Texas called Rick Romans.  Did a real nice job on the
grinding, all journals +/- 0.00005 of my target diameters and straight.
Shipping back and forth to PA is pretty expensive now though. They used
a nitride process.  Looking to see if I can find someone closer if
possible.

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment

I gotta' say, I'm impressed that you could *tell* that they were +/-
0.00005!!  How do you do that?  Bob

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment
Have you considered hard chrome plating?  Suggest you talk to a shop
that does this.
I have no experience in this but have heard/read about.

Wolfgang

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment

That would require considerable work, perhaps more than one might desire.
The crank must be ground undersized for the hard chrome to be applied, then
reground after plating.    Hard chrome doesn't deposit uniformly-----in fact
far from it.   It tends to migrate to sharp edges and ignores inside
corners.    In order to get a full covering that is deep enough to regrind,
it would require a large amount deposited oversize to insure that inside
corners were filled.    It's a very hard surface, though.

Harold

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment
@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

TiAlN (Titanium, Aluminum, Nitride)
PVD (Poly Vapor Deposition)
Laser Hardening (really wouldn't recommend that for a crank, makes the
surface too hard - 90-92 HRC - would probably result in stress cracks.)
There are many others too.

TiAlN and PVD will give a surface of 70-72 HRC about 20 microns deep,
I've not had either deform a part as long as the growth is taken into
account.

--
Anthony

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment
Someone please tell me what I am missing in this thread.  The OP said he
could straighten a crank that was out by 0.006 to within "tenths" with a
ball peen hammer.  Is that a normal procedure for straightening heat treated
crankshafts?

Bob (drawing total blank) Swinney

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment

Yep, It is how crankshafts have been straightened for a LONG time. Cast
iron, Forged Iron and steel all are straightened that way. You use a set
of V block, a good dial indicator and a hammer and brass drift. Or if
it's larger a lead mallet. A good crank man can get the shaft dead
straight with a few hits.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment

Greetings Steve,
It has been my experience that peen straightening is accomplished by
peening the  shaft. It's like peening a sheet of copper. If you hammer
on just one side of the sheet the sheet will start to curve. So the
straightening of the shaft is not accomplished by bending the shaft
with an impact  but instead by changing the length of one side of the
shaft to make it curve in the desired direction. Since this curve is
the opposite of the curve present in the bent shaft the net result is
a straight shaft.
ERS

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment

PVD actually stands for Physical Vapor Deposition.
ERS

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment
etpm@whidbey.com (Eric R Snow) wrote in news:4569e550.463730499
@news.whidbey.com:

You are correct.

There is also a carbide plasma impregnation coating out there, but I don't
know the technical name. They shoot a carbide-fed plasma at a steel part at
tremendous velocity and it actually imbeds the carbide into the steel.  The
nascar crowd was using it for a while for brake rotors (may still be). Of
course, this would require grinding afterward.

--
Anthony

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment

We've used that for collets in heavy turning applications. Lately we've
been using this:

<http://www.carbinite.com/index.htm

The plasma impregnation will peel off after some time. So far that hasn't
happened with the Carbinite process. I'm sure it will wear out over time,
but they claim it can be reapplied. Hands down the Carbinite is a better
product in a production environment.

--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

Re: Crankshaft Heat Treatment
msmith5242@comcast.net says...

I can't help with a process, but can recommend a heat treater.

http://www.bodycote.com/?OB=58&POB=3

A very big company, but I've received excellent advice and service on
small jobs from the NH plant. They did do some nitriding for me, but the
parts were very small and distortion wasn't an issue. I don't know what
sort of nitriding process they use.

Ned Simmons

Site Timeline