cutting steel plate with circular saw?

Threaded View
Hi,

I haven't worked with metal much - but have done a little grinding and
cutting in my time.  I have some sheet metal that a neighbor left me.
I believe it is 1/8", but some of it may be 1/4".  I want to cut long
pieces, say about 6 or 7 feet.

I've read on here about metal cutting blades with circular saws and
table saws, but it was unclear to me if anyone was making such long
cuts.  Will I be able to cut through that much steel with a circular
saw and a metal cutting blade?  Or should I be looking for a bigger,
more powerful tool?

I will probably need to make about 8 of these cuts, so total would be
approximately 50+ feet of cutting.

Thanks for any info,

Ben

Re: cutting steel plate with circular saw?
I cut up a big old refrigerator with a circular saw and a abrasive
blade. I started using a metal cutting blade, which quickly dulled.

The process was highly unpleasant. (much of unpleasantness was related
to how the refrigerator was built, not to cutting metal as such).

Re: cutting steel plate with circular saw?
  I ruined a great B&D Quantum saw with one of those blades. Fried the
commutator . Not sure if it was from overheating or from metallic dust
contamination . Or maybe a combination of both .
  I suggest the original poster look in the phone book for a shop with a
brake shear to cut his stuff .

--

Snag aka OSG #1
none to one to reply

Re: cutting steel plate with circular saw?

A lot of these supposedly fried drills can be fixed by blowing dust
out with a compressor. I fixed two such drills this way (a drill and a
grinder).

Re: cutting steel plate with circular saw?

I wish it was that simple . There are commutator segments missing , not
repairable short of a new armature . Which costs more than it's worth .

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

 I "did in" my good rockwell saw cutting aluminum. The armature was
worth more than many replacement saws, but I decided it was worth
fixing and have not been sorry. That saw will likely outlast me (as
long as I don't cut metal with it again).

--

Re: cutting steel plate with circular saw?
§

Site Timeline