Derusting/Mill scale removal with muriatic acid

Threaded View
Works quite nicely. About 6-10% acid, about 45 minutes in warm
water. After submersion in acid, I removed the piece, washed it for
3-4 seconds and put into a baking soda bath. Right after that I set it
on top of our electric stove to remove any water by heating.

It remove all rust and mill scale. I have never seen steel of this
color.

Re: Derusting/Mill scale removal with muriatic acid
oops

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Miscellaneous/Muriatic-Derusting.jpg

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:24:46 GMT, Ignoramus20942

Re: Derusting/Mill scale removal with muriatic acid
Dude. Learn to weld. Ouch.

GWE

Re: Derusting/Mill scale removal with muriatic acid

Be nice,   we dont know that was his welding.  It could be that he is
teaching his prized rooster to weld.

Re: Derusting/Mill scale removal with muriatic acid

Patience, Grant.  Patience.

That's what he's doing.  He'll get better with practice.

Harold

Re: Derusting/Mill scale removal with muriatic acid

Hope I do too. I've done worse than that and had to use the results.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Re: Derusting/Mill scale removal with muriatic acid

I am making an holder for a swinging mailbox arm. I am tired of cars
and snowplows bumping into my mailbox, and want to make it so that it
swings away when hit. The object that I derusted, will hold the bolt
for the pivoting arm.

So, there are no safety issues with this device. It probably has 20-50
times the strength that is needed, even with the bad looking welds. It
is made of 3/16" steel.

Re: Derusting/Mill scale removal with muriatic acid
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:08:57 -0800, Grant Erwin

Cut him a little slack, Grant.   He's learning.  We told him to
practice, and he's doing it.  The welds shown exhibit    progress from
earlier examples, and they look to me like they'll suffice for the
job.  Nothing sez  that learner   welds can't be useful.

I've made uglier  welds than that  and I'll bet you  have too,  though
you may not remember that far back....

None of us were born knowing how to weld.  Welding is learned by
doing.   Please don't discourage a guy from doing it.

Ig, you are still   far from being a weldor, but you are progessing
nicely.  Keep going!

BTW, I also use muriatic acid as a descaler now and then.  I prefer
beadblast because it's quicker,   but acid works too.

Re: Derusting/Mill scale removal with muriatic acid

Thanks Don. Sorry about the bad looking welds. The only good thing
about them is that all the pieces are located where I wanted them to
be. This thing will hold a swinging arm for a snowplow proof mailbox.
(the idea is that when this mailbox is hit by a car or snowplow, as it
often happens, it would swing away).

It took about 45 minutes to remove scale and rust from it with
muriatic acid.

Site Timeline