Derusting/Mill scale removal with muriatic acid

Works quite nicely. About 6-10% acid, about 45 minutes in warm water. After submersion in acid, I removed the piece, washed it for 3-4 seconds and put into a baking soda bath. Right after that I set it on top of our electric stove to remove any water by heating.

It remove all rust and mill scale. I have never seen steel of this color.

oops

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Miscellaneous/Muriatic-Derusting.jpg

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:24:46 GMT, Ignoramus20942

Dude. Learn to weld. Ouch.

GWE

Ignoramus20942 wrote:

Be nice, we dont know that was his welding. It could be that he is teaching his prized rooster to weld.

Patience, Grant. Patience.

That's what he's doing. He'll get better with practice.

Harold

Hope I do too. I've done worse than that and had to use the results.

Mark Rand RTFM

I am making an holder for a swinging mailbox arm. I am tired of cars and snowplows bumping into my mailbox, and want to make it so that it swings away when hit. The object that I derusted, will hold the bolt for the pivoting arm.

So, there are no safety issues with this device. It probably has 20-50 times the strength that is needed, even with the bad looking welds. It is made of 3/16" steel.

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:08:57 -0800, Grant Erwin

Cut him a little slack, Grant. He's learning. We told him to practice, and he's doing it. The welds shown exhibit progress from earlier examples, and they look to me like they'll suffice for the job. Nothing sez that learner welds can't be useful.

I've made uglier welds than that and I'll bet you have too, though you may not remember that far back....

None of us were born knowing how to weld. Welding is learned by doing. Please don't discourage a guy from doing it.

Ig, you are still far from being a weldor, but you are progessing nicely. Keep going!

BTW, I also use muriatic acid as a descaler now and then. I prefer beadblast because it's quicker, but acid works too.

Thanks Don. Sorry about the bad looking welds. The only good thing about them is that all the pieces are located where I wanted them to be. This thing will hold a swinging arm for a snowplow proof mailbox. (the idea is that when this mailbox is hit by a car or snowplow, as it often happens, it would swing away).

It took about 45 minutes to remove scale and rust from it with muriatic acid.

Related Threads

Nothing found yet