DeWalt

Does anyone on the list know if DeWalt and Black and Decker drills are made by the same manufacturer? I have recently been told that they are. I do not want to pay double for the same drill if it is not twice the quality. Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
RBW

DeWalt is Black & Decker's premium brand. Same manufacturer, but not the same product.

The Acura Legend and Honda Civic are both made by the same company, but are not the same car.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Same company owns both trademarks. DeWalt is the premium, "industrial" quality line. B&D is the homeowner, "drop-it-off-the-roof", cheapie discount line. I've had exactly one(1) B&D drill that I bought way back when on the recommendation of Consumers Reports. I found out two things, don't use Consumers Reports for tool recommendations and don't buy B&D drills for anything but stirring paint. God, was that thing cheap inside. Nothing was fixable, toss it when the brushes or bearings wear out. The Skil 1/2" I have now wasn't too bad for the price, at least the brushes are replaceable. Now, I mostly use pneumatics, though, can't comment on the current line of DeWalt drills.

Stan

Stan

Reply to
stans4

B&D built good tools too, but not near as many as their junk that K-Mart sold. I've got a B&D 9" angle grinder which I guess to be from the mid'70s and it's a serious tool- the granddaddy of the Wildcat grinder they're selling today (which is a *very* good tool). It's great when you're grinding on a flat surface, not so great when you're grinding up around eye level or overhead..

Their little 4&1/2" angle grinder is another good tool- I bought the first one I ever saw, probably more than ten years ago now, and have bought two more that were broke for parts.. it's still alive and I've used it long and hard.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Unfortunately B & D is parent company of DeWalt, which at one time made some jam up wood working equipment like radial arm saws, and in my opinion, they utilize the rep DeWalt had to sell B & D crap which is not worth taking home if it was given away for free.

However I do have a B & D 3/8 all aluminum housing electric drill which I bought back in 1965 and its been used hard put up wet and sometimes its been so hot you could not hold on to it without gloves, from using big plumbers wood augers in it, and it still keeps on trucking............Too bad they did not continue to build them like the old tools, and had to lower their standards, so they could sell to K mart erc, then rely on DeWalts name.

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
~Roy~

De Walt is the industrial tools division of B&D. Their tools are made in Europe and are roughly equivilant in quality to Bosch, not fantastic but OK. Bosch is cheaper. B&D is cheap chinese rubbish. Some chinese tools are OK but not these ones.

Reply to
Roger_Nickel

Roger or others, Would you buy Bosch over DeWalt or another brand if you were going to spend $200. for a 18volt cordless drill?

Reply to
RBW

RBW Posted:

"Would you buy Bosch over DeWalt or another brand if you were going to spend $200. for a 18volt cordless drill?"

Two questions that I would ask myself:

Which brand has better repair parts availability? What brand do most professional contractors use?

Convenient repair parts availibility is the reason that for over 40 years I've purchased nothing but Sears washers and dryers, rather than Whirlpool, Maytag, or other brands. For me, it's an important consideration.

I've owned a few Bosch products over the years but have yet to find one that I was entirely satisfied with, so I'd personally go with DeWalt . (For what it's worth, he contractors I know seem to prefer the professional drill lines produced by Makita and Milwaukee and use DeWalt drill bits.)

Just my opinion/observation.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

I have a $200 dewalt cordless drill. After my guns, it is the most pleasant and reliable portable thing that I own.

Ignoramus12915

sale some 14V 1/2" hammer drills.

wanted the DW line but

called the QUANTUM PRO. They were factory rebuilds with the full new item 3 year warranty. I have used it to do a couple of tough 1/2 and larger holes. You had better be careful as it would twist out of you hand. The price was $75. They also had "sawzalls" that used the some battery for $50. The drill came with a case, two batteries and charger. The saw with one B and C. I was concerned that the airline might refuse them as checked baggage. I mention this to the clerk and he said they would ship them at no charge. The phone # is 610 373 0351

Chuck P.

Reply to
MOP CAP

When I broke a knob while loading my Maytag washer/dryer for a move halfway across the country I went to their web site and ordered a replacement for about $8 with ground shipping to the new address and it arrived before I had even unloaded the washer/dryer.

I'm pretty happy with my Bosch contractor's table saw.

My cordless drill is a Makita as is my cordless impact driver (both

14.4v). My corded drills are Hilti and Milwaukee.

The only DeWalt I have is a circular saw that I got as a gift, but it seems to do fine.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Cordless: Makita With cord: Fein (do you know them, are they available in the US?).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Same company. Different grades. As several of the other posters said, DeWalt is the industrial/contractor grade stuff.

Older B&D is about as durable and worthwhile as most of the other power tool lines of the same vintage.

Newer B&D is mostly lightweight/light-duty equipment. Suitable for homeowner toolboxes, but not too much else.

DeWalt tools are indeed contractor grade and several of my colleagues keep a mix of them in their trucks. As with most manufacturers, some models don't work quite as well as advertised, but they usually fix the issue by the second generation.

IMHO, their corded tools are slightly better than Bosch (depending on the tool type). They're cordless seems to be just a step down from Makita.

Happy drilling. snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net

Reply to
ListedinBody

Fein is available in the U.S.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

If funds were unlimited, Metabo definitely. Somewhat more realistically but still over your budget, Hitachi. Hitachi tools generally speaking are top quality and almost a standard in the building trades in NZ. For US$200 I would look at Makita, their battery tools are beautifully designed to sit in the hand and they are definitely not as fragile as they look. I have an old Makita cordless drill which simply refuses to die I also have two DeWalt tools; a 210mm portable circular saw and a 13mm dual ratio hammer drill. Both of these tools are big, heavy and powerful. Both have had mechanical failures (bearings in the saw, broken pin in the gearbox of the drill), neither of them owe me anything but next time they break I will replace with Hitachi because, even though more expensive, Hitachi is smaller, lighter, stronger, just as powerful and gives less trouble in service. Between Bosch and DeWalt the difference is mainly price, in NZ bosch is about 25% cheaper.

Reply to
Roger_Nickel

Try

do a search for Fein (multiple pages) or the product.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

I've seen Dewalt labels on things made in the US, Taiwan and England. Certainly it is not all European product.

Reply to
John Horner

I'm not a fan of Bosch's product line, at least not as available in the US. I have their trim router and it is mediocre. The jig saw is good.

Bosch drill bits, router bits and the like are overpriced IMO.

Nothing special, or German, about most US Bosch products.

Heck, "Bosch" oil filters as sold in the USA are mostly subcontracted to Champion labs and have more in common with the WalMart SuperTech house brand than than have in common with any German made Bosch filters.

John

Reply to
John Horner

We have to be careful when saying brand x is made in brand Y facility so it must be close to Brand Y... - Not always so. There are specs. There are requirements. Quality standards have to be met. A spec might be 1 page or 10,000 pages for a product.

The same product line can make good and bad. To spec 1 and to spec 2. Some make a part and sort to one spec and the others to the 'rest'.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

DeWalt stuff is overpriced here in NZ. The cost of DW stuff, adn batteries is considerably less in the US - i suspect the New Zealand DW agents are a little greedy. I have 2 18v DW drills and an 18V sabre saw. Good stuff, but heavy, and the battery clips are weak. They can't take the rough site use that well. The drill chucks aren't up to the quality I would expect for the price either. A friend had his near new 3spd 14V DW drill eat it's gearbox. No drill for the best part of a month and it was the tool he used the most. The service isn't up to the price either - go to Kmart when one of their house brand tools dies and they give you a new one... I have a couple of cheap B&D drills for roofing work - they bouonce well and are cheap enough that if they walk or break, I won't cry to much. Geoff

Reply to
geoff m