Disassembled and inspected

{also posted to Kohler email list}

Well , today I pulled the KT17 out of my JD 317 and tore it down . Turns out this isn't the first time this motor has been apart . By the numbers this is a series one motor , but there's a series 2 crank , rods , and camshaft inside . There is no serious damage to the right (non-starter) side of the crankcase , just a small chunk of stiffener rib missing from the bottom lip of the cylinder hole . There is a chunk broken off the bottom edge of the cylinder that grenaded , but I have found the pieces . I'm trying to decide if I should braze the chunks back in - lost about 3/8" of thrust face down there , but it's not on the main thrust face which is on top , and there's little con rod angularity at the bottom end of the stroke - before I hone the cylinder . Parts started arriving today , got the gasket set and the connecting rod (used) that I bought on ebay . Only problem is that the rod is a series one unit with the hole in the cap . I figure I can thread the hole and install a socket head grub screw . Thread only partway so the screw can't possibly contact the crank journal and use red loctite plus peen the top over so it can't back out . I did knurl the piston that I had out , worked better than expected , the piston is slightly over nominal stock cylinder bore . Should fit just swell when I get the honing done . I was surprised to find these are Mahle pistons , were these stock ? Overall it could have been a lot worse , though it is bad enough . This is probably my fault for not checking the oil as I should have . There was oil in the motor and quite a bit was lost when it happened , but ... I'm just not sure . What I am sure of is that whoever worked on the motor took shortcuts . There was no gasket on the front closure assembly , he used silicone and way too much of it . There was quite a bit extruded in that area and the cranckcase halves too . The other connecting rod and journal still look good . I haven't miked them yet to see if they're in spec but I'm betting they are from how they felt before disassembly .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Place I worked for in the late 70's had a full size Dodge van with a slant-6 motor. It was a big-pain-in-the-ass setup. That poor little slant-6 use to jump all over the place in its motor mounts among other woes. We had a repair garage right next door, same building we were in. They worked on it for us numerous times. Silicone gaskets were kinda new then and they got caught with their pants down. They put so much on the oil pan that it oozed inside, came loose and plugged up the oil pump pickup... Been a long time but I think that was the final blow that killed the old Dodge van that none of us cared to use...

I've been leery of using silicone for those kind of gaskets ever since.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

It is called for to assemble the case halves , but the front cover is supposed to have a gasket . The most popular sealant for assembling Harley crankcase halves is Yamabond ... I do have one of the recommended sealants for this crankcase , and I just got the gasket set in the mail - it includes one for the cover .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

You might try putting a length of monofilament fishing line on the sealer while it's still tacky. I used that method on plenty of HD cases and never had a leak. It works.

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Garrett, is that line used to separate the halves a tad to make for a thicker and more resilient "gasket"? Interesting idea.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I suspect it smashes and forms a film between the case halves . I'd heard of using thread for that , but not mono line . Hey Garrett , what do you recommend , 6-8 lb test ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Cool idea!

Reply to