Do I have any hope of selling those huge CNC machines

This is the latest adventure.

I bought two Cat 50 CNC machines:

As you can see, they did not cost me too much.

They are "Brute CNC" and one has a Mitsubishi control, another has a Celca S3045 CNC control. Both seem to be from 2000's.

These are large machine, the biggest one weighs about 40,000 lbs and the smaller one, probably about 30,000 lbs.

They both presumably work and were not even doing daily production work, they were at a cosmetics plant making extruder parts or whatever.

My question is, even assuming the best about their condition, is there any hope of selling them for significantly more than their scrap and partout value. I assume about $8,000 scrap+parts for the big one and $6,000 for the smaller one.

I can rig thise machines on a buyer's truck, and I have a couple of weeks at the auction site, however I would be loath to bring them to my warehouse.

And my question is, how realistic would it be to expect to sell them for a lot more than scrap value in that short of a time frame?

My past experience was moxed, I could sell some machines and not others.

Ignoramus20341

it is a shame, but industry won't touch them. And they are too big for most basements :)

If it were me, I'd put them up on eBay for one week, then scrap them when/if you don't get a bite.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Or try letting one of the big used-machinery dealers broker them. Those guys usually are in touch with shops that buy big machines. If they don't have to ship it or warehouse it, they might make a deal.

I won't recommend one, because I'm wary of all of them.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Sadly, no :(

They are just to big for a small shop and too old for any production environment. They are even too big to donate to some sort of "makerspace". I'd still list them for a week on the off chance someone has a need, but shipping would probably be prohibitive for any place not local to you.

Reply to
Pete C.

OK, I think that the collective wisdom is that they will not sell. This is fine with me, as the iron is worth a lot more than what I paid and the servos, cards, pumps and so on will all add up quite a bit.

Ignoramus20341

You might try calling some big machinery places and see if they have any interest. Maybe they would have a place for the machines and would sell for some percentage of the sales price.

Check out

They have machines of that size and a bridge crane to pick the machines off and on trucks. They just are not local to you.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The scrap+parts value of this machine is about 8,000 dollars. Doubtfully a dealer will want to pay more than that, plus they are all assholes.

Ignoramus20341

I am also wary of all of them, had enough dealing with dealers.

Ignoramus20341

Yep, this is what I will do. I do have a week.

Reply to
Ignoramus20341

Good point about the oil patch. You wouldn't believe the amount of activity out there. its the Wild Wild West.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Or down here in Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale. Every time we drive down to the condo (Galveston), I see drilling equipment on hot shot trucks, new tank farms, refurbishing in old facilities, etc.

But with oil prices dropping, does anybody remember the '80's bust? I'd hate to see that again here.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Thanks...

These Spanish controls use special Spanish G-codes: G-uno, G-dos, G-tres etc

Reply to
Ignoramus11869

And the special homing code, G-whiz.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What's the difference between these and new? How are they obsolete?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Except they're mills.

Reply to
Pete C.

Speeds and feeds most likely. The new stuff is scary fast. Also more and more 5axis to reduce setups.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hey, Ig, I just got the following email from John Carroll:

Hey Ed, You can tell Iggy that those two mills carry the Cardenas brand because Kurt and his sister Holly had a run at importing iron.

They are in Detroit if he wants to call them. Cardenas & Son.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Gee, Tom is asking questions and has finally started acting like an adult. Go to yahoo, Google or MSN and type in four simple words: "3rd printing vs cnc"

Reply to
mogulah

Right now,"The Kid" is doing nothing but setting up new 5axis machines and programming. With this and other optimizing things, they are reducing time to make a part by a factor of five.

If anyone is interested, the limiting factor is finding enough highly trained help to get the new stuff running right.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

New ones are faster, more accurate, Ethernet enabled, etc.

Ignoramus9750