Do it yourself penetrating oil

I think we had a thread about a year ago on how to make your own penetrating oil that I can't find with Google. I've been using gallons (literally) of PB Blaster at $3.90-4.50/can. The stuff really
works great andI'm a staunch advocate of it. However, I'd like to try a tank vs. using tons of cans spraying small parts that are often off cars/machines already.
Would people mind posting their favorite formulas again? I'd like to make a dip tank of the stuff (meaning a couple of gallons for small parts) plus brush it on when I don't need an aerosol.
One formula I found using Google is: 1/3 no odor space heater kerosene 1/3 no odor mineral spirits 1/3 any weight oil you have around
What other concoctions should I try?
--George
Automatic transmission fluid and solvent-of-your-choice.

What type of solvent? Mineral spirits, gasoline, acetone ???
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 14:59:03 GMT, Ecnerwal

I would certainly avoid using gasoline or acetone unless you enjoy shop fires.
Harold

I think Kroil substitute is purported to be half ATF and lauquer thinner...
Tim
-- "I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!" - Homer Simpson Website @ http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
Texas Parts Guy
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:17:35 GMT, rex@@txol.net (Rex B) wrote:

http://www.building-tux.com/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm
This is really good stuff. I keep a gallon of it on hand all the time.
Gunner
Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry
Thanks Gunner. I appreciate it. I've got almost everything on the list except lanolin which I may just skip.

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:47:09 -0500, "Tim Williams"

Kroil
I've heard Kroil is really good. I was thinking of a home brew from bulk ingredients.
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 11:02:07 -0500, "Robert Swinney"

I find the most effective is to try to pump the oil into the crevices using heat. Heat to over the boiling point of the solvent, dip in oil, repeat. This causes the air and water vapour to diffuse out as it's exposed to the solvent vapour. Repeat a couple of times, and it will free quite a lot of stuff.
For Ed's Red, look here http://www.building-tux.com/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm
Thank you. I'll mix some up one of these days and give it a shot.
--G--
On 01 Oct 2004 23:49:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GMasterman) wrote:

GMasterman wrote:

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

Ed's Red: 1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later. 1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1 1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent, (aka "Varsol") 1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.
Gary
Thanks Gary!

There's a formula in the rec.woodworking FAQ for how to make tack cloths. It works pretty well for making penetrating oil too.
(Take small amount of currency to shop, exchange for tack cloth / penetrating oil)

Related Threads