Do it yourself penetrating oil

Threaded View
I think we had a thread about a year ago on how to make your own
penetrating oil that I can't find with Google.  I've been using
gallons (literally) of PB Blaster at $3.90-4.50/can.  The stuff really
works great andI'm a staunch advocate of it. However, I'd like to try
a tank vs. using tons of cans spraying small parts that are often off
cars/machines already.

Would people mind posting their favorite formulas again?  I'd like to
make a dip tank of the stuff (meaning a couple of gallons for small
parts) plus brush it on when I don't need an aerosol.

One formula I found using Google is:
1/3 no odor space heater kerosene
1/3 no odor mineral spirits
1/3 any weight oil you have around

What other concoctions should I try?

--George

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil
Automatic transmission fluid and solvent-of-your-choice.

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil
What type of solvent?  Mineral spirits, gasoline, acetone ???

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 14:59:03 GMT, Ecnerwal

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil

I would certainly avoid using gasoline or acetone unless you enjoy shop
fires.

Harold

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil

I think Kroil substitute is purported to be half ATF and lauquer thinner...

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
    - Homer Simpson

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil

||> What type of solvent?  Mineral spirits, gasoline, acetone ???

I think what the OP wants is the recipe for "Ed's Red"  (or something similar)
I don't have it on this machine, but I bet Gunner has it.

Texas Parts Guy

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil

http://www.building-tux.com/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm

This is really good stuff. I keep a gallon of it on hand all the time.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
so stupid it is easy work."  Steven M. Barry

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil
Thanks Gunner.  I appreciate it.  I've got almost everything on the
list except lanolin which I may just skip.

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:47:09 -0500, "Tim Williams"

Trichlorethelene and ATF works too.

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil

Kroil

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil
I've heard Kroil is really good.  I was thinking of a home brew from
bulk ingredients.

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 11:02:07 -0500, "Robert Swinney"

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil

I find the most effective is to try to pump the oil into the crevices
using heat.
Heat to over the boiling point of the solvent, dip in oil, repeat.
This causes the air and water vapour to diffuse out as it's exposed
to the solvent vapour.
Repeat a couple of times, and it will free quite a lot of stuff.

ED's Red
For Ed's Red, look here http://www.building-tux.com/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm

Re: ED's Red
Thank you.  I'll mix some up one of these days and give it a shot.

--G--

Re: ED's Red

Thanks! - finally from the keyboard of the source!

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil

Ed's Red:
1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS #64741-49-9,
 or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent,
 (aka "Varsol")
1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

Gary

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil
Thanks Gary!

Re: Do it yourself penetrating oil

There's a formula in the rec.woodworking FAQ for how to make tack
cloths.  It works pretty well for making penetrating oil too.

(Take small amount of currency to shop, exchange for tack cloth /
penetrating oil)

Site Timeline