Do it yourself penetrating oil

I think we had a thread about a year ago on how to make your own penetrating oil that I can't find with Google. I've been using gallons (literally) of PB Blaster at $3.90-4.50/can. The stuff really works great andI'm a staunch advocate of it. However, I'd like to try a tank vs. using tons of cans spraying small parts that are often off cars/machines already.

Would people mind posting their favorite formulas again? I'd like to make a dip tank of the stuff (meaning a couple of gallons for small parts) plus brush it on when I don't need an aerosol.

One formula I found using Google is:

1/3 no odor space heater kerosene 1/3 no odor mineral spirits 1/3 any weight oil you have around

What other concoctions should I try?

--George

Reply to
George

Automatic transmission fluid and solvent-of-your-choice.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Reply to
George

Kroil

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I find the most effective is to try to pump the oil into the crevices using heat. Heat to over the boiling point of the solvent, dip in oil, repeat. This causes the air and water vapour to diffuse out as it's exposed to the solvent vapour. Repeat a couple of times, and it will free quite a lot of stuff.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I would certainly avoid using gasoline or acetone unless you enjoy shop fires.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Reply to
George

I think Kroil substitute is purported to be half ATF and lauquer thinner...

Tim

Tim Williams

I think what the OP wants is the recipe for "Ed's Red" (or something similar) I don't have it on this machine, but I bet Gunner has it.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

For Ed's Red, look here

GMasterman

Thank you. I'll mix some up one of these days and give it a shot.

--G--

Reply to
George

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

This is really good stuff. I keep a gallon of it on hand all the time.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Ed's Red:

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later. 1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1 1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent, (aka "Varsol") 1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Reply to
George

Reply to
George

There's a formula in the rec.woodworking FAQ for how to make tack cloths. It works pretty well for making penetrating oil too.

(Take small amount of currency to shop, exchange for tack cloth / penetrating oil)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Trichlorethelene and ATF works too.

Reply to