Do you use 3/4 inch drive sockets for light home use purposes

Gunner Asch on Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:48:52 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I use them occasionally for heavy home use. Or for holding doors open in the Light Home.

I use what is available, and no more than I have to.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Iggy, I use 3/4" sockets several times a year and almost always with my 3/4 impact wrench. Most of the usage is motorcycle engine clutch baskets and crank nuts. I also use 3/4" drive on harmonic balancer bolts on larger engines. Several of my sockets are custom made. Now 1" drive is a bit over the top, but not 3/4" Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

They are handy for the compensator nut on Harley Davidsons.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Might as well pile on too...

I've been using ~30wt motor oil for about 30 years, haven't had any troubles with lug-nuts coming loose. Use a large T or X wrench to torque them down. As a teenager I found out that you never really know how tight they are using an impact wrench...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

FWIW, I tried to get the opinion of experts on this a couple of times, once when I was racing sports cars and again 8 or 10 years ago. I never got a clear answer from anyone.

My old tin of anti-seize is so old that it's lead-based, but I use that on my own car, because I check the nuts every once in a while. I've never had one work loose. In my racing days I decided to leave them dry, and I torqued them with a torque wrench for uniformity.

I don't use the anti-seize on my son's car because cars are appliances to him (and, apparently, to most of his generation). If I told him to check the wheel nuts he'd look at me like I was crazy.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Frankly, I would disown any relative / offspring that had that kind of disposable mentality.

Reply to
Pete C.

There are a surprising number of people that have owned backhoes. Why? Well when they got the bids for grade work, septic systems, ect they figured owning a hoe they got a deal on might be a money saver.

Are you planning on moving to some acreage and building your new home in the future? If so and you plan to build it yourself, I have a feeling you might end up with a backhoe.

My brother built a timber frame home on some challenging terrain. The hoe he bought was free to use even after repairs considering how it allowed him to do things he would have had to hire out.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

they got a deal

Wes, a move like that doe snot seem likely to happen. I would love nothing else than to have some acreage and a barn, but it just does not seem practical.

Ignoramus15135

I expect him to support me in my old age. He's on track for that so far.

It's a tough adjustment for us old guys, but thinking hard about it, I have to agree -- cars *are* appliances. I love them and get involved with them, but it's just a carryover of a time gone by, when I was his age.

And we fix things because we like to. Only sometimes does it make any real sense. Sometimes we feel smart about it, but most of the time we do it in a really dumb way, if you're talking about dollars and cents. Just read this thread and most of the others here on the same general subject. We're here because we have than mindset, not because we're smart about it. We get our satisfactions in ways that only make sense on our own terms, not on any objective ones.

So we drag that baggage along with us, too. He has other things on his mind. A lot of them are 'way over my head.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You sound like perfect a candidate for a big pole barn out in the country. You don't have to live too far out for things to get rural.

Wes

Wes

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 01:26:58 -0700, the infamous "Steve R." scrawled the following:

What do they use to compensate for the nut on the Harley?

-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have a set I've used maybe a dozen times, which made it well worth what I paid HF for it on sale. Didn't need to be 3/4" drive, I just needed the larger sizes. I used a 3/4" to 1/2" adaptor that came with the set.

Reply to
Don Foreman

So, he spent hours and hours riding a free / cheap hoe, and that made his wife happy?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I might be interested in a trade depending on what you have left after you make up a set for yourself and if we can find something in my stash that you can use.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ive got a set of those 3/4" drive thin steel sockets one finds at NAPA for $40 each. Probaly 1/8" wall thickness.

I think the sizes are from 1.25-5"

Probably for pulling hub nuts or something.

Ill probably put em on Ebay or simply sell em/trade em to someone. I think they are marked OTC brand, US made. Ill have to go look..brb

OTC...

They look to be brand new, never used. Probably 6-8 of the OTC ones

And Ive got one Proto 3 1/2" 1" drive socket, if anyone needs em. Looks to be brand new as well.

Anyone interested...make an offer and Ill send photos

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch