Does anyone still use lantern toolposts

O.K. But this does not need holders with strange angles, because the holder itself can be indexed in 9 degree increments.

What I was talking about was a holder for another system similar to the Dickensen (I'm sure that I don't have that spelled right) system, but not quite it. The holder, instead of holding the tool shank parallel to a line tangent to the ways on the post holds the shank at about a 30 degree angle to the tangent line. I forget the brand, but I wound up with a holder for that system when I thought that I was bidding on a holder for the Emco-Maier smaller Dickensen. Hmm ... it was probably "Enco" that I confused. Anyway -- I exchanged it for one of the right type that someone else had which did not fit *his* toolpost. :-)

The drill chucks, and the Morse taper holders can be useful when you are doing a lot of on-axis peck drilling when you need to do a lot of pulling the bit back out to clear chips. Use the power feed, disengage the feed, crank back with the carriage handwheel, tap to drop chips, crank back in until the tip contacts, and re-engage the power feed. A *lot* quicker than cranking on the handwheel for the tailstock, but if you have a lever-feed tailstock, or a bed turret, it is not as useful.

Come to think of it -- I also have a three-jaw cut knurling tool on a Morse Taper shank which goes nicely in the Morse taper tool holder. (A lot of things from eBay auctions -- certainly not bought at new prices. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

And I agree. In fact...while a KDK lives MOST of the time on the Hardinge HLV-H..I keep both a lantern and a small Hardinge turret tool holder in the side cabinet. There are just enough times I need to work either up next to the collet..or actually behind it, to use both of them.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Very very cool!!

Ive been working on some Okuma LN6s with a 20" spindle Bore.. and cutting specialty oilfield threads with BIG thread inserts. Flat threads..Butruss type threads and that would work a treat!!

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I have some..some lantern tool posts, bases and rockers if anyone needs anything. Ill check stock next weekend when I get back..if I get back within 2 weeks again.