drill doctor 750 is it qiuck/easy to use

Im looking at a DD750, they seem to be alot of them on ebay. I need a quick bit sharpener for the shop, I have a General brand that uses a bench grinder but i usually in to much of a hurry or just to lazy to set it up & use it. Is the DD750 easy to use and will work without alot of setup, I just want to touch up one bit at a time ( the one i just dulled ) so i can finish the job. One more thing, has anyone ever actually ground split point bits from standard bits on one of these?

Reply to
tucker

I could not figure out how to use it, until I watched the video that came with it. I find this product to suit my needs perfectly and to be easy to use (after the video). I also use it to sharpen my tungsten electrodes.

Ignoramus19961

Religious war number four!

Learn to sharpen bits by hand! With the money you save, buy a very good set of drills and a night on the town. It's faster to do a touch-up by hand and you will soon be able to sharpen a drill for a specific material, depth and purpose. It will become second nature and you will laugh at your old thoughts of a gimmick machine.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

snipped-for-privacy@conninc.com wrote: ... One more thing, has anyone ever actually ground split

I've done them on my DD500. Works nice. A bit more skill is involved to get the point balanced (ground the same on both sides). And to not split too far and take out the point! You know how I know that!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

My dad was a lifelong machinist. He started doing oilfield equipment in Pennsylvania, was a flight engineer in the U.S. Army Air Corps on bombers in the South Pacific, and ended up a machinist for a major petrochemical company.

He used to take a small one inch by three inch stone and sharpen a bit in an incredibly short time. Or he would do it on a bench grinder, and then finish it on a stone.

He tried to show me, but I never could do it.

It's easy when you know how to do it, and you've done it about ten thousand times.

Wish I had paid more attention.

I have a DD 750 that I got at a good price while setting up a convention. It has never been plugged in. I need to get out there and watch the video and sharpen about 100 dull bits I have.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A half hour of practice is all it takes to be proficient, for you maybe half that because you understand the drill to begin with.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The short answer is "Yes". But do read the instructions and watch the video. I know that real men sharpen their bits on a grinding wheel, but for the rest of us, the drill doctor is good enough.

Yes, you can make split points out of any drill, you do have to keep it balanced, though.

Reply to
RangersSuck

MSC has them on sale this month. I saw it in their flyer today. I don't remember the price but it was under 100.00

John

Reply to
John

And that is a good point. Heck, I can cut most things with a dull bit, the trick being in putting on enough force. An amateur know nothing like me could probably do a lot better if I just got them half sharp.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

my only complaint are short small bits. I have a hard time getting

1/8" short bits done. the tip is usually wrong. Knight-Toolworks
handmade wooden planes
Reply to
Steve knight