Drill press runout?

Hi, i've recently replaced my drill press chuck because the old one gave a very obvious wobble to anything chucked in it. I've got a new keyless one and I'm testing it with a dial indicator and getting what seems like a lot of runout, around 0.005". The drill (or in this case a reamer) is straight but not concentric. How much deviation would you guys expect to see? I've checked the drill press taper in different positions and get almost no deviation of the dial indicator so I dont think the drill press is the problem. An online search yielded some values but they seem to range from

0.0005 to 0.010". That range is quite large and I really dont know if I should be expecting better than 0.005" or if I should just tolerate it. If anybody cares, the chuck is a 50$ import not an albrecht (I looked at the albrecht web site and they dont give any runout info on their chuck because they say it depends on the drill press or arbor...)

Thanks.

Reply to
alabbe0405

Depending on the drill press, that could be normal. Some units come brand new with a .002 to .003 runout and considering you either have a used unit and/or re-mounted on a taper, it might be something you have a hard time overcoming.

Did you drop the Morse taper or simply mount on a Jacobs taper with the chuck? I assume the Jacobs... Which could lead to an additional .0005 to .001 "new" runout that wasn't there if the taper was damaged at all or if there is dust, etc. up in there.

How old is the unit? What make and model, etc...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

0.005" is a little high, especially if you have to keep using it for the rest of your life. I'd keep chasing it down. You already measured the spindle and that sounds good, next buy a quality arbor and measure its runout without the chuck on it. If you can get your current chuck and arbor back apart, test the arbor from that, if its straight your new chuck is marginal. If you reused the arbor from your older chuck there is a good change its bent.

I like the Rohm chucks, they cost just a little more than the imports but I find the quality to be pretty good, almost as good as an Albrecht.

has pretty good prices on the Rohm chucks.

Good luck-

Paul T.

Reply to
Paul T.

Sounds a bit high for a *good* keyless chuck.

Who made the drill press? And how much do you measure on that rod without rotating the spindle, just pressing it lightly from side to side? A lot of import drill presses have that much (or more) play just in the quill.

Once that is eliminated, measure from the ID of the Morse taper socket (presuming that you don't have a spindle without such a socket, and just a male Jacobs taper.

Some cheap brands can have that much runout. And for a keyless drill chuck of that style, $50.00 *is* cheap.

For Albrecht, that is equivalent to saying that only at the absolute minimum (below 0.0005") will a measurable amount of that come from the chuck. If you get objectionable runout with a new genuine Albrecht, it *is* the drill press or the arbor. Note that Albrecht also makes the arbors, if you want to start out right. :-) When *I* get an Albrecht, I also get an Abrecht arbor.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I ran into the same problem with a new Jacobs 14N. I messed with it a while and finally marked the chuck and spindle so that I could install the chuck in different rotational positions to the arbor and with a few tries found the high and low spots and assembled for the least amount of runout. I would also suggest that you try a couple of different sizes of test pins as the jaws in the chuck may be a bit wonky at one particular diameter. Also pay attention is the high spot always on one particular jaw, or spot on the spindle. Some systematic trouble shooting should get you to the largest problem area. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

You say "the drill (or in the case a reamer)---". If this means the you are using the reamer as the test surface, I would do something else. Buy a 3 foot length of water hardening (the cheapest) drill rod as big as will fit in your chuck. MSC and Enco have it on sale often. Cut off

6" or so and use that to check the run out.

Pete Stanaitis

alabbe0405 wrote:

Reply to
Pete & sheri