Eat mo' squirrel

I had an agricultural tragedy this past weekend. I have a little Red Haven Semi-dwarf peach tree that I've been nursing along for a few years, and it just produced its first modest peach crop: 26 beautiful and delicious little peaches.

I was getting ready to check them for ripeness on Saturday when I saw that my 26 peaches had been reduced to 2. There were four or five fat squirrels running around my yard with peaches in their mouths.

My means of getting revenge are few in this densely packed suburban neighborhood, so I thought I'd do the next best thing and publish my all-time favorite squirrel recipe, in the hope that some of you will shoot some of the bastards and try it. Squirrel season is in, in many states around the country.

From _The Gourmet Cookbook, Volume II_, revised 1965:

========================================= Squirrels in Cider

Skin, clean, and disjoint 3 plump squirrels. Soak the pieces in cold salted water for 20 minutes, wipe them dry, and dust them with flour seasoned with salt and pepper. In a heavy skillet brown i/4 cup diced fat ham. Add the squirrel and brown the pieces well on all sides in the ham fat. Add enough hard cider barely to cover the squirrel, cover the skillet, and simmer the liquid until most of it has evaporated and the meat is tender.

Add 2 tablespoons butter, increase the heat, and quickly brown the pieces of meat once more. Remove the squirrel to a warm serving platter and to the juices remaining in skillet add I cup hot cream and stir in all the brown bits from the bottom and sides of the pan. Stir in, bit by bit, 1/2 tablespoon flour mixed to a paste with 1 tablespoon butter, correct the seasoning with salt and pepper, and strain the sauce into a gravy boat

[If you like this one, and I love it, I have several more recipes that are top-notch. Eat mo' squirrel!]
Reply to
Ed Huntress

Xisico B-50 or B-51. Pitch the stock shroud and install an RWS shroud. Your neighbors might even ask you to shoot squirrels in their yard as well.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'd love to, but that would land me in jail here in NJ.

I used to shoot pigeons here with my neighbors' encouragement and my Crossman CO2 converter on my 1911 .45, but those neighbors are long gone.

I do have a big Havahart trap, which may be my answer. But next year I'm cutting back a border growth of little maples, which they jumped from, and I'm installing a big cat/squirrel collar on the tree.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Worse, I think NJ has even outlawed suppressed air guns in spite of the fact that the ATF got their ass handed to them in court when Cocker appealed.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I meant Crooker.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Count your blessings, at least you don't have deer troulbe

I have A LOT of venison recipies

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

You have my sympathies. I had the EXACT same thing happen (dwarf peach,

1st year of fruit wiped out over night). It was quite the "WTF?" moment, walking up to the bare tree.

Since then I've also had to deal with birds and use a net - brought to the trunk and tied. Squirrels & chipmunks could chew through, but don't.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

AHA! I've heard about those nets. I'll have to look into getting one. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On 9/15/2014 6:34 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: suppressed air guns ???

Reply to
Richard

Yep. Lots of the higher power ones are made that way. The hammer is louder on my 900FPS NP (with lead / over 1200FPS with alloy) than the noise out of the barrel, and the sound of a pellet hitting a gopher is louder than that. My neighbors don't even know when I am target practicing with it unless they see me.

Even some of the bigger bore PCPs are suppressed.

Most call it a shroud, but if it's a chamber with vents from the muzzle it suppresses. Some are better than others. Lots of Xisico owners modify one off an RWS because it works better.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ed,

With your recipe you can turn that trap into a haveameal trap

John

Reply to
John

The damned horses in the back lot got all my grapes from the back vine. Then I found some on the side vine and the damned birds got 99% of those before me. I'm about to go nuclear here.

I don't hunt (yet), but I love nice, gamy venison. Yum! Tried some raindeer from a restaurant and it tasted like cheap hamburger. Just horrible. Only _then_ did they tell me it was farm-raised, the bastids. Never again! Purina Deer Chow my ASS!@

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ha! Yes, I was thinking about that...

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I recently trapped 4 raccoon in 5 days, still trying to get more. The squirrels know exactly when fruit gets ripe, your watching it, it's almost ready and then those %#$&^*% got almost the whole tree.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

In NJ, an air gun is treated like any other gun. And no suppressors are allowed. They're treated as our state equivalent of Title II weapons.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yes, this state has a deer population about as dense as our people population, but they rarely get into my fenced back yard. A neighbor down the street, though, watches them take down the apples from his little tree every year.

My old boss at Wasino in NJ (now Amada Machine Tools, in the Chicago 'burbs) had $23,000 worth of landscaping done to his yard, and the deer ate all of it within two months.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That's exactly what happened here. On Friday, I counted 26 peaches, and they were within days of being ripe. On Saturday morning, I had 2 peaches.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You are referring to the suppressor(title II), right.

And you have to register a BB gun???

Reply to
Richard

To be fair a .25 PCP "BB Gun" can easily drop a deer at 50 yards, and the larger Sam Yang 9mm, has been used for bigger game in Africa. They make them upto .50 cal, and a neighbor of mine has been working on air operated automatic cannon with military applications. (well a couple sections over)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

We don't have to register any guns, but you need a FOID to buy any gun including a BB gun. For a handgun, you also need a permit to purchase, which is de facto registration. That applies to airguns as well.

Reply to
Ed Huntress