Ebay Scam - Safeharbor Request

I just got the Safeharbor security verification notice. Just for fun, I did a trace to the ip of megabank.com and found it went to "Bank Internasional Indonesia" in Jakarta. One way to solicit funds, I suppose. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

I get all kinds of phishing stuff regularly from "eBay" and "PayPal". Sometimes from "CitiBank" too.

Best plan is to report them. snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com snipped-for-privacy@paypal.com Citi's got one too but I can't find the address at the moment.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Ebay must be getting bombarded with these, used to be if you sent one to the "spoof" address you would get a verification note back. Not any more......they must have given up on sending replies. I got 2 "safe harbor" notes from Ebay yesterday, frequently get them from Citibank, and lots from banks that I don't even have accounts with.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

They still are, we have had a couple this last week plus one for PayPal, both lots had replies, usually one immediately to acknowledge receipt and another one a bit later to give the info about the email.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

snipped-for-privacy@citibank.com

Reply to
Nick Hull

Its because most companies have given up. The web sites are offshore, and of course the foreign govenments involved could not care less (and probally think its boosting their ballance of trade). Its not the worst problem for companies on the web, there is also denial of service, which is rampant nowdays (it used to be mainly directed towards Microsoft, but has been spreading to other companies).

There was a good article in the Wall st. Journal recently. Basically, companies on the web, especially banks, expect there might be a consumer backlash as people give up trusting the web at all.

My guess is that there will be a "validator" solution, probally pushed by Microsoft. I like my solution better, which is to find phishers and provide them with free of charge castrations. You don't really have to find very many phishers to see a large dropoff in phishing that way.

Reply to
Scott Moore

Reply to
Cheryl and Rob