Eight Point "Star" Screw Driver?

Hello all:

Am looking for a screw driver, similar to a torx driver but with eight points rather than six (I need it to disassemble a large desk for transport). The particular screw(s) "slot" will accept a torx 15 but is too small for a torx 20.

Can anyone kindly let me know what exactly it is I'm looking for i.e. what it is called, and where I might find it?

TIA

Laurie Forbes

Try a square driver. My cargo trailer had those type of fasteners and until I put my glasses on I could have sworn they were Torx heads. Steve

On Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:20:52 PM UTC-7, Up North wrote:

Yes you right... thank you

I had a cheap B & D driver and head collection that had lots of heads I had never seen before in there. You may find one of what you're looking for in one of those cheap Chinese 187 piece specials for $2.99 or so. If the head is as small as you say, the point should last a lifetime, and the set will probably have more than one of them.

Steve

Laurie Forbes wrote:

They are square drive screws, the double square makes aligning the fastener on the driver faster. There might be special drive bits out there for high torque applications, but they certainly aren't needed for regular applications.

Pete C. wrote:

Good idea - tried a #2 Roberstson and it worked fine. Trouble was though, the desk still would not come apart (looks like it was glued and maybe doweled as well). Will have to hump it upstairs in one piece I guess.

Thanx....

Laurie Forbes

Some people insist on making the mistake of gluing joints designed to be taken apart in the belief that they are smarter than the designer. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:49:19 -0500, Gerald Miller

Yeah, and other people have watched as cheap knock-down furniture gets unexpected forces applied (someone sits on a table) and said table unzipped at those quick-assembly joints and turned into scrap.

Now I might not glue it together as-is if I expect the need to take it apart again - something big like a bed frame might get wood corner blocks glued and nailed, and then you can add strategically placed hidden screws to the assembly joint to strengthen it up a lot.

But little stuff like an end table that will fit through doorways, I can see no downside to a little judicious gluing, screwing and/or nailing it to make it into a single solid piece that will survive a whole lot longer.

The primary reason you use nails and dowels and biscuits in woodworking is to hold everything in alignment and keep the joints tight till the glue dries.

--<< Bruce >>--

I thought you might be describing a "Bristol" drive, but they are 6 point. While googling around, I found this neat page of screw drives: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Wrench

Even though the links says "Bristol", it covers a whole bunch of of drive types with a nice, easy to follow column of head diagrams.

Pete Stanaitis ------------------

Laurie Forbes wrote:

On Friday, January 16, 2009 11:15:08 AM UTC-5, spaco wrote:

Nice link for those "what the hell do you call that screw? moments. Thanks.

Hickory trailers : 8 point trailer screws. The bit is only 2.95 plus free shipping

Amazing how many drive systems there are, and how seldom the good ones get implemented. In Europe there is no square drive, for example. I gather that it's because of a licensing issue. In this case I bet this is also a facto r - that the screws are intended to be inserted using a square "Ropbertson" bit, but making an eight-point socket circumvents patents.

Related Threads