Electric die grinder recommendations

You don't say how big these fabrications really are. For snagging welds and such in tight areas, I really like a band grinder, here's an electric-powered example:

For taking off small rivets and rusty machine screws, I used to use a Foredom flex shaft tool, that'll get in a lot of tight spaces. You aren't probably going to get one new for what you want to spend, though. A Dremel just isn't the same.

I would assume the low-speed versions of the machines you reference are for running flap wheels and the like, the high speed versions are for grinding points.

Since getting a compressor, I use pneumatic versions of the above for most work, the mini-die grinders that are like a fat pencil are really handy and don't heat up when used continuously. Also extremely easy to get speed control with them. No motor brushes to wear out, either.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Hi all,

I'm considering getting a die grinder. It needs to be electric (240 V) as I don't have a compressor. It also needs to be the kind that has a long nose for reaching into tight spots. Mostly I would use it for grinding on fabrications where an angle grinder is too clumsy, and for removing fasteners in tight spots. It needs to be suitable for fairly precise work. I was hoping I'd get one for under £100, but most of the grinders in this price range look a bit crappy, so I might stretch my budget to £130 ish.

Here are a few I'm considering:

Makita GD0800C:

GD0810C:
GP2:
GE700:
A few questions: Am I better off with a low speed grinder (< 7000 rpm) or with a high speed grinder (7000 - 28000 rpm)? Am I better off getting a variable speed grinder, or a quality fixed speed grinder like the Hitachi? Does anyone have any particularly good or bad experiences with these products?

My gut reaction is to go with one of the Makita variable speed grinders, mainly because I have a Makita angle grinder and like it, and also because I think the variable speed will be useful.

Also, has anyone in the UK ordered from Powertool Direct before? If so, were they okay?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Hmm ... electric ones are bulkier and heavier. Do you want that?

[snip]

Fein makes also nice ones. If you can afford them, you can also get compressed air ones. :-) I'd reccomend to quit the idea of having electric grinders.

It simply depends on what you want to use. For small grinding wheels and bits a high speed grinder. For carbide bits, lower speed. I would select the tools and see what RPM they suggest (size depending). And then select the die grinder.

No electric grinder here. But good experience with Makita and I remember that it was reccomended by others.

HTH a bit, Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

They vary, but the metal will usually be between 1/8" and 1/4" wall thickness. I want the die grinder for when I want to achieve a precise, snug fit between two parts before welding.

Yes, that sounds rather costly, and I don't know if I can get one in the UK. I've never been a big fan of the Dremel. I want something that can eat more metal!

That's interesting. If that's the case it sounds like I want the high speed grinder, as I want to use small grinding stones and carbide burrs.

I can't afford a decent compressor right now, both in terms of money and electricity supply. If I could I would though!

Thanks for the thoughts.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I run an air die grinder on a 3 HP compressor without any problems.

Sure, but the compressor lets you save money and space on other tools also.

Anyway, I have an electric grinder also (very old used one) and they are useful tools.

Ignoramus22887

There is nothing wrong with electric die grinder, they are a little bulkier and more expensive, but grind just as well. I would look for a used one, myself, as I use them rarely and if I get a tool with only

1/2 life left in it, that's good enough as far as I am concerned. i
Reply to
Ignoramus22887

Chris: I use a Makita GE0600 1/4" for pic, search ebay. It is smaller than the units you are looking at. Usual pricing is $120 new. The smaller size may be what you are looking for. 240V? I don't know if it is available.

-Mike

Christ> Hi all,

Reply to
mlcorson

Can you buy a used one off ebay?

Ignoramus22887

I use die grinders extensively at work for precision die making. We use carbide burrs, mounted stones and flap wheels. I would recommend against the slow-speed machines. I use carbide burrs on everything from mild steel and aluminium to hardened D2 tool steel and while they don't last as long in the tougher steels, I don't reduce the speed at all.

If you're expecting to use some very large stones (I've never) then the variable speed will be useful. I wouldn't spend a lot extra on it, however.

One further suggestion. You should pick up a black dressing stone, if you don't already have one, for your mounted points. Points are not true out of the box and you'll need to dress them unless you enjoy feeling the grinder vibrate to the point where you cannot use it. An untrued point will make your work look like a dog's breakfast anyway. Make sure to dress the points in a criss-cross fashion along the face of the dressing stone or you'll wear a ditch into it, and it will be ruined too early.

Lastly, a safety note on carbide burrs. I've said this before, but I cannot emphasize enough the nasty nature of the chips from a sharp burr. If you get them in your eye, you're definately going to the hospital as they *will* get stuck. You'll likely get lots of them stuck in your hands as well, so make sure not to grab anything covered with chips too tighly (or at all before removing the chips). Safety glasses are an absolute requirement and a face shield is a virtual necessity. Expect to change the clothes you're wearing while using the burrs before going in the house, car, etc. The chips will be stuck in the fabric.

HTH.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Reply to
mlcorson

I don't want it, but I think I'm going to have to live with it. I know air die grinders are superior in many respects, but they need a decent compressor to accompany them. From what I've heard, I doubt I can run an air die grinder on less than a 5 hp compressor. Even if I hunt around and get a deal on a compressor, by the time I've bought the air fittings, motor starter, etc., and upgraded our electricity supply I could easily have spent £500 and several days work. I don't have that money to spend right now, and I just want a die grinder to use. As I won't use it all day long, I think I can live with the extra weight.

The Fein die grinders do look nice, but they're £275. Sadly that's out of my price range for now.

Thanks. That's useful advice. Do you know of any sites online which sell die grinder burrs and offer information about speeds? So far the only burrs I can find in the UK are on eBay.

Yes, I've been happy with Makita. You seem to get a good tool for the money.

Thanks for the advice!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Yours is a beast of a 3 hp compressor.

Indeed. In an ideal world I would get a compressor. But I can't afford a compressor right now and yet I still want to make stuff now!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

The market here seems to be flooded with used 110 V grinders, whereas I want 240 V. The few 240 V used die grinders which come up on eBay often make 50% of their new price. I would rather buy new and have the peace of mind to be honest. The last time I bought a used power tool on eBay it was the biggest POS imaginable and took me months to fix!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I am not a big fan of the Makitas- they burn out too easily, in my opinion. I buy mostly Bosch grinders, including die grinders. I like this model- they hold up for years in my shop, and we run em quite hard. Mostly carbide burrs, often grinding stainless.

?division=gw&ccat_id=81915&prod_id=5687 I have no idea what they go for in the UK, but here in the usa they run about $160.

ries

Reply to
Ries

Reply to
mlcorson

Hi Mike,

I think this is sold as the 906 in the UK:

How do you find it? The reason I passed on it when glancing down the list was that it's fixed speed, fairly low power, and doesn't look as tough as the GD0800C.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Yes, that was what I was talking about, but I'm reluctant to do it for the reasons above.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

You have to buy a die grinder. :-)

Not true. They consume about 300 l / min. 2..3 hp should be enough. It also depends on how long you need it. Just for some minutes or for half an hour at full throttle?

I know I'm nasty. But the air grinders can be held like a pencil. I sometimes do grind chip breakers onto lathe bits. Can do very fine work with them. Mine is a "Pferd" (I think they are sould as "horse brand" abroad) and have it since 25 years. The other one is Chinese crap never used. OK, I shut up before further watering your mouth.

I knew. For ocational use, they are overprized.

Don't know. German sources wouldn't help you much.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I doubt I'll want to use large stones. I anticipate mostly using tiny ones. Perhaps I should invest in a really good fixed speed machine? The speed control might be somethat that would make the grinder more likely to fail in the future. What do people think?

Does anyone have an opinion on the Hitachi die grinders? Like this:

Presumably you don't dress carbide burrs? Only stones?

I've got the face shield, gloves and ear defenders for my angle grinder already. Should be okay for the die grinder too, right?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 20:25:53 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus22887 quickly quoth:

Are you importing tools from Chernobyl, or is it a different 1/2-life we're talking about here?

-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.

Reply to
Larry Jaques