EMC to Linux CNC name change

Just a heads up for the CNC hobby types among us.

EMC2 is now called LinuxCNC

Karl Townsend

I ain't so sure, Karl. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I read this company has a copyright and is complaining.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Well, we are in the process of changing all the names, everywhere. But, it is a big job, between the actual code, the documentation, the Wiki, the discussion forums, the SourceForge mailing lists, etc. there is a LOT to change.

The LinuxCNC website has been there for 6 years, so that doesn't need to change, just the name we call the actual software by.

I've already completed most of the changes in my stuff.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

They couldn't get Wiley to sign off on it.

-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I stand corrected (without orthopedic sneakers).

Thanks for the info, Karl and Jon.

("You missed a spot", Tom remarked):

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Heh! Here I was thinking that no one would likely contest *that* name. Turns out I was mistaken:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I'll let Señor Coyote know that. He'll surely contest it.

-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Intersting. There used to be an earlier version, just called EMC, and there appears to be some other package somewhere (not sure for what OS) which is currently called EMC, and frequently has reports of security holes on the CERT advisories. I haven't bothered to try to find out what it really does, or what OS it runs on.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols