Extracting broken bolt / screw

True. I've not actually tried it but I'd bet that stainless wire would be better in that case.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Well, where I was confused by the suggestion was if it were available for vice grips, what's the point/need of anything else if it isn't bound? Maybe they were intended to be independent, but wasn't what it seemed to say so I was just trying to figure out what the poster really meant...

If it's simply an alternative for reaching a recessed but freely turning broken bolt, ok...

--

Reply to
dpb

"Wayne Cook" wrote

Two welding rods used on oilfield rigs. 6010 and 7018. Been there, done that.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'm amazed when I have a nub to grab with a vise grip, even the needle nose version. (make proper jaw adjustment, then clamp)

Soaked in fluid, with the vise grip I might tighten the nub CW first (slightly) and then loosen. It breaks a freeze/bound thread...sometimes.

Helps me.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Had the same situation recently. Twisted off the rod on a turnbuckle because it was frozen. Soaked it overnight, then put the clamp on there again and wiggled back and forth, and it moved. A little more wiggling, and it threaded right out. I think there'd be a whole lot more EZ Outing if people would just take time, use penetrants, not overtorque and generally pay attention. But that doesn't sound like anyone I know.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

AND a tad more lube when they wiggle :))

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Certainly not for gripping a screw or bolt which has broken off flush. :-)

*But* -- if the bolt has been overtorqued and broken from tension -- or what was bolted down got levered up to overtension the bolt, it would be likely to break off at the first thread outside the threaded hole -- since there would be no support there. Those bolts are more likely to work with the "buzzing out" approach.

Certainly if it has rusted into its hole, and then broken off from torque when someone is trying to *remove* it, then the heat approach is more likely to work.

But I don't have a welder, so it is unlikely to work for *me*. :-)

Whenever I finally get a welder, I'm thinking of the Maxstar

140, which is both stick and Tig. I don't think that I'll need to weld anything larger than that. And the problem simply is finding one which I can afford at the moment. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols