Fine copper "bullion" (read "bulls&^%") bars?

I just took apart a big electrical panel, extracting 194 lbs of copper buss bars. I also have a modest quantity of solid copper spot welder parts.

Vaguely recalling something, I performed an ebay search for "copper bullion bar".

To my astonishment, I noticed that "copper bullion bars" are selling very briskly on ebay for about $7.50 per lb, including in large quantities.

Example

There is no way I can get that much from a scrap yard, the best I found for #1 copper is something like $2.79 per lb.

So, my thinking went into overdrive. Can I melt these bus bars into custom made molds, saying something like

SUPERFINE 99% COPPER BULLION ALGEBRA INC. MINING DIVISION

If so,

1) What material should I use for molds, I have a CNC milling machine to create a shape, and

2) Will I be subject to a lot of EPA regulations if I have a small metal casting operation

Thanks

Ignoramus25088

False advertising can land you in jail, you better have a copper mine. Be prepaired to prove all your ingots are

99% copper.

All corporations are subject to EPA regulations. A surprise inspection can happen anytime. Likewise with OSHA.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Electrical copper is always better than 99% copper.

Ignoramus25088

The trick is to use bullion cubes rather than bullion bars.

Reply to
Don Lancaster

The trick is to use bullion cubes rather than bullion bars.

Reply to
Don Lancaster

The trick is to use bullion cubes rather than bullion bars.

Reply to
Don Lancaster

You can say that again.

Lumpy

You played on "The Love Boat"? Yes. White tux, huge sideburns.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

Don, could you repeat that please?

Ignoramus25088

You may want to be careful with that assumption in the case of the spot welder parts as some items such as tips may be alloyed to make them harder and less likely to spread in use. Depends which spot welder parts you have.

Reply to
David Billington

The bars on ebay do not look cast. Maybe extruded and polished. Plus some fancy engraving work. Maybe a SS mold? Most EPA rules do not kick in until you're casting in the tons of material.

Most copper bullion on ebay I see as going with no bids. only a few fools out there.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

It was a play on/off of...

, iggy

Reply to
dpb

Yes, #1, #2 etc.

Right, this is exactly what it is. I am looking to get a cable stripper to get clean copper out of insulation..

Ignoramus28574

That again.

Reply to
Don Lancaster

Would you send or post a list of spotwelder parts? I'm especially interested in 45 deg. taper-mount tips.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Easy to make. Two opposing wire wheels. We sell thousands of wire stripping brushes that fit machines. Mostly used by cable bundle assemblers.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Lump:=20

DonDon:

I think I'll shampoo my carpet.

Lumpy

You played on "The Love Boat"? Yes. White tux, huge sideburns.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

No matter what the problem, Tom has a brush to fix it.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I have taken apart an entire 10 kVa, 900 lbs old school spotwelder.

I have both arms (upper and lower), a copper T slot plate, flexible copper conductor (part of the secondary), other copper chunks, and a bunch of tips. I do not believe them to be taper mounted, I think that they are held by setscrews. They are, at this point, in the barrel with #1 copper, covered by the remnants of the panel.

The total weight of copper was about 130 lbs IIRC.

Ignoramus28574

What I need is a stripper with sharp "knife" wheels. They pull the cable and cut the insulation.

Ignoramus28574

"Ignoramus28574" wrote in message

But is it "Investment Grade" copper?

jsw