For Sale- Lincoln Idealarc 250 welder

Well there is the secondary problem that I don't have a clue how to weld. Read about it? Yes. Did it? No.

If I ever needed it, the local community college has a welding class and I just bet there is a student looking for a project and a couple of bucks to boot. __ WS in a.s and m.s Two parties, not a dimes worth of difference.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Or a new $100 box:

Curly Surmudgeon

Burl also doesnt understand..and the ignorant seldom do...that there are welders out there that are well over 60 ys old, that work just fine. In fact..the older ones tend to be far better made then the newer "inverter" welders and such, as they were made less than "high tech" and were made to be repairable.

A perfect example is my Hobart 300 amp DC gasoline powered welder that I brought home a few months ago. It had been abandoned, tucked away in the corner of a friends pasture. Tires rotted out, bearings dry and hadnt been run in at least..least 12 yrs.

Took me 2 good used tires $60 total, a bit of wheel bearing grease ($3.50) and about 5 hours to change out the tires, lube the bearings, and tow it to my place. Most of the time was finding two matching good used tires. (driving around and waiting for the tire shop to do the tire change)

Then it took me about 3 hours to get it running properly ($0.00) and another 1.5 hours to get it to start generating welding current. ($0.00) Well..I did put 3 gallons of gas in it ($9.00

Now one of these days, Ill get around to replacing the tired insulation on some of the leads coming out of the generator itself, but they are "ok" as long as I dont drag it all over the country on bumpy roads.

I might even consider painting it...hummm say $25 for 2 colors of spray paint, some primer and sand paper. Oh..and putting the fenders back on...($0.00) OH..and welding up a pair of bottle mounts so I can keep an O/A rig mounted on it. ($5.00 for straps..already have the steel scrap needed to fab up something)

The welding machine came off the deck of a WW2 liberty ship, and according to the manufacture, Hobart Brothers...was made before 1944, as thats as far back as their records go.

One of the previous owners converted the engine to 12vt, and parts for inline Chrysler 6 cylinders are common as can be.

Now it will need a 12vt battery..but a good used one will be just fine, from the wrecking yard ($20)

So Ill have hummm. less than $125 total in it, including the first tank of gas, oil change, filter, etc etc. Not bad, for a 300 amp, 3phase pure DC welder.. pure DC...clean as a lightning bolt...lol

On the other hand..a buddy of mine bought a really hip slick and cool Miller inverter based welder 2 yrs ago, for $2800, and the electronics went to shit last month..and Miller wants $1100 to fix it up. It lasted

23 days past warranty........

He is currently using my Airco (Esab) Squarewave 250...a machine of the mid 80s..that is working just hunky dory, but does weigh 600 lbs. And according to him..has a nicer arc.

Shrug...

Now on the Idealarc 250 he is babbling about...if one goes to the Lincoln website..one will find the "new and improved" version..which if you pay careful attention..is housed in a square case. Period. Check out the controls, position and ranges. Lincoln found it cheaper to put the same guts into a square can. And it sells for $1500+ all over the internet.

Burl (a defective knot on a tree) really should either learn something, or we will all keep laughing our asses off at his ignorance and buffoonery.

He should stay with keeping the clients at his bathhouse happy..and let those of us who actually deal with hardware in the outside world do our jobs.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I looked at those. Just for the record, I guy I work with is an experienced welder. He bought one and took it back saying it was a POS. Second hand experience but I respect the guys judgment. __ WS in a.s and m.s Two parties, not a dimes worth of difference.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

I accept his judgment too.

Brand new Lincoln for $339:

Portable 200A, $129.99:
As you suggest, if we only need the rare weld it's better to hire it out or borrow the equipment than to buy a repainted piece of shit for 3x it's worth...

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon