Found something weird inside my saw

Hi all,

Today I found something weird inside the vice of my power hacksaw. I've noticed a rubber boot inside the vice before, which I thought protected the screw thread from chips. But today a bit of the rubber cracked off, and it didn't look much like rubber. It looked more like that peelable plastic that is used to cover cutting tools, so I became curious and pulled this item out from the vice:

It was resting on top of the vice screw behind the fixed jaw, so it didn't affect the operation of the vice. The question is, what is it? To me it looks like a fluteless thread forming tap, but it's double ended and the threaded sections aren't tapered, so I'm puzzled. It's 5 1/2" long, 1 1/8" diameter at the small end and 1 1/2" diameter at the large end. Both screw threads are right handed and it says "T22 HF" on the large end.

Any idea what it is?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Looks important, but I don't see any wear through the gunk to indicate that it has recently been a part of something moving. ?

Well, it's a bidirectional T22 HF (RH), obviously. Now, you just have to find out what it's _for_.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

For me, it looks like the screws you can put into the narrow end of MTs. They are used to pull the MT in. You call it pull bar? So it's the pull bar that goes onto one end of the thread, the other end is in the MT.

DIH? Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Clearly, it's a metal parasitic worm that had infected your machine. ;)

Reply to
DeepDiver

I have no idea what it is but can you imagine the hours some poor sod spent looking for that item and to this day still doesn't know where it went.... lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Christopher Tidy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cantabgold.net:

Chris, Is your vice the type with a swivel head? Is there a tapped hole in a swivel on the back of it, and maybe one in a swivel on the fixed portion directly behind the one in the moveable piece (or a place for one)? Reason I asked, I have seen bandsaw/powerhack vices with one of these type of deals to adjust/set the angle of the vice plate. (Most use a bolt instead.)

Reply to
Anthony

Mine is a swivel vice, but it is the more common kind which uses a bolt as you suggest. I'm doubtful that this is a component of the saw at all.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

It could conceivably be part of a drawbar, but if so it belongs to a huge machine. Something on the scale of the larger Cincinnati mills, perhaps? Anyone recognise it?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Drawbar, yes, that's what I meant. Sorry.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Probably not. The saw used to belong to GEC, so they probably just bought another on company money. I'm not sure which division of GEC owned the machine (I acquired it indirectly) but by location I'd guess it was the steam turbines division. I guess it's possible that this is a steam turbine part.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Trafford Park, Rugby Willans Works or another site??

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Not certain, but I think it was Rugby. The machine has "GEC" stencilled on the side, and I acquired it from a machinery dealer in Coventry, so my assumption is that it came from the Rugby site. The dealer said something about it being used by a GEC maintenance team, but I don't remember anything more.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Just looks to me like a stud. Sometimes called a "bull" stud. Large end could be for repairing stripped out stud hole or just for increased thread strength in aluminum or other soft material. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

it actually looks like it came off some sort of heavy machinery ,simply put just a bolt ,I used to work in a factory ad have seen studs ,smaller but looked the same ,what I was told by the maintenance guys they are used where high pressure is present the big end is where you would put into the hole of the anchor point and the small one is where the plate or whatever the piece that goes over it and the nut goes over the smal end ,if you ever seen a stud when it pulls out ,it never pulls thru the nut but the lowr mounting point ,thats the reason for it being bigger gives more surface area to hold unto . Probably what happened was someone was working on something had it out to check tolerances on something left it on the bandsaw or set it down "for just a second" and came back for it and someone else had or they had knocked it off and probably landed in the machine instead of looking for it they just got another ,and if you ever been in a bsy maintenance shop ,they never would've heard it drop ,happens all the time ,but least you got a nice little conversation piece and messing with people by making up a humorous or unbelieveable story have fun with your new trophy

Reply to
badaztek

It looks like a double ended stud to me, similiar to one like a car would use to hold on the tire. VW entusiast often use ones with different sizes to accomodate new rims on old hubs. Are there any hex sockets in the end muck?

Reply to
Greg Krynen

Smuggling in parts now are they ? Hiding stuff behind fake covers.... :-)

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Christ> Hi all,

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I forgot to get back on this one :-(

We think that it was most likely to be a stud for holding a bearing pedestal to a motor frame from the Medium Electrical Machines works at Rugby.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks for the reply. That's fascinating. Do you (or did you) used to work at the Rugby site? Perhaps you even used this machine? It carries the marking "GEC MS 1 WEIGHT 430 KG" if that means anything. I can dig out a picture if you like. It's a small world...

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy